PDA

View Full Version : Bad 16f88

Picstar
- 4th March 2012, 02:00
Hello All,
I recently reported that I have several 16f88 chips that are "locked up". I am still looking for a solution, if there is one. I am using the QL 200 development board and QL Prog, its programmer.
Upon one suggestion I looked for a way to change the VDD in the fuses section, but I see no way of changing it. Maybe if I had a different program to take the place of QL Prog it would work?
Well I tried PonyProg with no luck. Any ideas before I throw these into the trash? Thanks for viewing. !!

Charlie
- 4th March 2012, 02:43
Were they previously programmed for a commercial product? They may be code protected.

Picstar
- 4th March 2012, 02:49
No, these were new chips that I entered some simple code into and they froze. This is what I entered,

' Timer countdown test
trisa = 0
porta = 0
Start:
I var byte
for I = 1 to 2000
porta.0 = 1
pause 5000
goto Start

gadelhas
- 4th March 2012, 03:19
No, these were new chips that I entered some simple code into and they froze. This is what I entered,

' Timer countdown test
trisa = 0
porta = 0
Start:
I var byte
for I = 1 to 2000
porta.0 = 1
pause 5000
goto Start

Why you say its locked?
That code posted don't do nothing, did the code compile without errors? Because its missing the "next" of the "for" command!

Dave
- 4th March 2012, 04:22
not only that but, where are you turning off the port bit?

Picstar
- 4th March 2012, 06:03
You are both right, made a error when I posted. HERE is what I entered:
the purpose of the whole program is to give me a visual indication of how long it takes to the chip to execute a loop and count down. I need this info for setting timing on portions of my programs. Hope this makes sense. P.S. my setup may not be correct but I'm an old geezer.

' Timer countdown test
trisa = 0
porta = 0
Start:
I var byte
for I = 1 to 2000
next I
porta.0 = 1
pause 5000
end

Picstar
- 4th March 2012, 06:11
Update, I just realized that (I) should be a VAR WORD, since it will be over 255. Thanks for your input guys but the problem remains that I still cannot program these chips that talked about.

' Timer countdown test
trisa = 0
porta = 0
Start:
I var word
for I = 1 to 2000
next I
porta.0 = 1
pause 5000
end

Charlie
- 4th March 2012, 10:49
Your posted code has several problems, beginning with the lack of capitalization for the register names.
Do you intend it to turn PORTA.0 to a one and nothing else? If so, why delay?

Your issue is likely with the configuration bits. Please post your code for configuration...

c_moore
- 4th March 2012, 11:09
I have run to this many times. I used my Pickit2(tm) to erase the pic and then is was ok.

retepsnikrep
- 4th March 2012, 17:51
I posted the solution in your other thread have you tried it?

Picstar
- 5th March 2012, 05:42
Charlie, please refer to post #6 above, I use this to set the timing of some of my programs. I know my Cap. is off, just posting an experiment, Thanks for responding.

Picstar
- 5th March 2012, 21:33
I tried your solution Rep. butthere is no way for me to change vdd in QLprog.

retepsnikrep
- 6th March 2012, 06:36
You need another programmer then.

http://www.piccircuit.com/shop/pic-programmer/25-icp01-usb-pic-programmer.html

Picstar
- 6th March 2012, 06:51
Well Res, I'm using a development board, instead of just a stand-alone programmer. Your right though, I wish I had gone with the EasyPic 5 or 6. I think that you could choose 3.3 or 5v vdd on EasyPic development boards. Thanks for reply.