PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate label error

lilimike
- 6th December 2011, 23:27
Anybody seen this?

Using a PIC18F25J50

Trying to compile I get the following error:
Error[115] c:\path...\testpic.asm 45 : Duplicate label ("R1" or redefining symbol that cannot be redefined)

This is my code:

test:

TOGGLE PORTC.0
PAUSE 500
GOTO test

END

lilimike
- 6th December 2011, 23:52
Sorry, I can't find the link to edit my post so will add more info here:
I had installed PBP 2.60 and made some tests using LCD_Anypin
Then I tried to add the 2.60C patch but could not recognize that PBP was installed indicating something about pbppic14.lib so I figured it was because this file was modified for LCD_Anypin.

The version is not indicated on my PBP CDs but I have a previous version and an upgrade to 2.60 so I re-installed both and then tried again to add the patch and got a message about a file (don't remember which one) but I deleted it and then re-applied the patch successfully.

A number of my previous codes was working until I applied the 2.60C patch

Now my previous code that was ok can no longer compile.

Getting Error [118] ...ASM 73 Overwriting previous address content (2007)

Trying to compile this code:

@ __config _INTOSC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_OFF & _MCLRE_ON & _LVP_OFF & _CP_OFF
clear
DEFINE OSC 8
TRISB = 0
TRISA = 0
CMCON = 7
OPTION_REG = 0
INTCON = 0

LCD_DB4 VAR PORTB.0
LCD_DB5 VAR PORTB.1
LCD_DB6 VAR PORTB.2
LCD_DB7 VAR PORTB.3
LCD_RS VAR PORTA.4
LCD_E VAR PORTA.3
LCD_Lines CON 2 ' # of Lines on LCD, 1 or 2 (Note: use 2 for 4 lines)
LCD_DATAUS CON 50 ' Data delay time in us
LCD_COMMANDUS CON 2000 ' Command delay time in us

INCLUDE "LCD_AnyPin.pbp" ; *** Include MUST be AFTER LCD Pin assignments ****
PAUSE 500 : LCDOUT $FE,1 : PAUSE 250

LCDOUT $FE,$80,"text line 2"
LCDOUT $FE,$C0,"text line 2"

END

lilimike
- 7th December 2011, 00:27
Me again... Just before someone ask me to do this I have uninstalled PBP, removed the PBP folder and reinstalled from scratch.
Setup PBP 2.50C
Setup PBP 2.60 Upgrade
Ran PBP 2.60C patch

Same issues.

Mike

Heckler
- 7th December 2011, 01:30
I've seen that same error message before... I am using PBP 3.0, but I think it is telling you that you are changing the config's twice. Once in the PBP default settings for that PIC and again in your actual program.

I think you might need to open the default include(.inc) file and remark the default configuration statement. I think??

but then again I'm not the most experienced programmer here :pirate:

lilimike
- 7th December 2011, 05:30
Thanks for the clue.
Obviously since I reinstalled I had a fresh .inc file so I commented some lines and got rid of "Overwriting previous address content"
and for the "Duplicate label ("R1"..." I found in the file P18F25J50.INC located in the \Microchip\MPASM Suite\ folder contained twice the following line in different sections line 1673 and 1733.

R1 EQU H'0002'
Commenting either one of them didn't make a difference but commenting both got rid of the error.

I would really like to know why! (a bug in MPLAB?)

Mike

Darrel Taylor
- 9th December 2011, 23:37
R1 is the name of one of PBP's system variables.
On the xxJ50 family, Microchip added the R1 bit name to the P*.inc files which conflicts with PBP.

It's not really a bug in either MPASM or PBP, but it does cause some problems.

In PBP3, new header files were created (c:\PBP3\DEVICES\*.MPASMINC) that are used instead of the normal P*.inc files.
That allows PBP to get around the problem without making everyone edit the P*.inc files in their MPLAB installation.

For older versions of PBP, you will still need to edit the MPASM P*.inc files like you figured out.
-------------------

The Overwriting Previous Address error has also been improved upon in PBP3.
You no longer need to comment the default configs from the *.inc files. Using the #CONFIG block automatically overrides the defaults.

Charles Linquis
- 10th December 2011, 00:43
Darrel, you haven't been as active on the forum as you used to be. I can only assume that is because you are working diligently on PBP 3.x. I know that MELabs doesn't like to give any advance information, but is there something you can tell us about future developments that will get us excited?

lilimike
- 11th December 2011, 02:23
Thank you Darrel for the clarification.
I guess I will look into getting PBP3.

Mike

Darrel Taylor
- 21st December 2011, 00:07
I know that MELabs doesn't like to give any advance information
You were correct Charles. Sorry, I couldn't say anything till now.

, but is there something you can tell us about future developments that will get us excited?
Future ... No, Current ... Yes ...
Don't know if it will flip your kilt, but I'm pretty excited.

You may even find the first example (http://support.melabs.com/threads/89-USERCOMMAND-(Introduction-Start-Here)) sounds familiar.