PDA

View Full Version : No choice but to use PBP on 64 bit versions of Windows :(

TerdRatchett
- 27th July 2011, 18:11
No choice but to use PBP on 64 bit versions of Windows :(

My 32 bit machine died so I was forced to buy a new 64 bit Windows 7 machine, now I'm frustrated to find after reloading everything that PBP no longer works. I get an error that PM.exe cannot run due to an incompatability with Windows 64.

I found something that stated I must use MPASM rather than the PM. So I set that option in MicroCode Studio. That helped, but I now get 456 assembly errors. MCS does not copy so I cant paste them, but they start with "Cannot open include file P16F876A.INC" and most of the rest are symbol not previously defined.

I've searched the computer and there is no P16F876A.INC, not even in Microchip folders. Please advise!

Thanks in advance for your help.

TR

Archangel
- 27th July 2011, 18:42
Sounds like you need to reinstall the Microchip software. The .inc file "should be" in the MPASM Suite sub-directory of Microchip directory. Lots of folks are using PBP in 64 bit machines, search the forum.

TerdRatchett
- 27th July 2011, 20:06
Thanks much Archangel for your help!

I tried reinstalling MPLAB, but to no avail. There is no file in it's directory structure called P16F876A.INC. I found a file online by the same name, downloaded it and placed it in my project folder, them re-complied and it successfully finished. I haven't programmed my product yet, but I am hopeful it will work.

As far as searching the forums for answers, if they are there, you cannot find them by searching. I did a search for the key phrase "64 bit" which describes my problem perfectly and there were no results found, yet when I started manually going thru the threads I found a similar one with with "64 bit" in the title (The solution in that case was unrelated). I have been using this forum for a couple years and have found the search function to be of no help at all.

mister_e
- 27th July 2011, 21:06
those work for me
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/content.php?r=389-Beginner-Tutorial-How-to-get-started-with-PBPDEMO-MicroCode-Studio-PICKIT-2
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/content.php?r=383-Beginner-Tutorial-How-to-get-started-with-PICBASIC-PRO-Demo-MPLAB-PICKIT-2

But yes, you need to use MPASM.

HenrikOlsson
- 27th July 2011, 21:11
Hi,
As have been stated PM will not work on work on 64bit systems, you'll have to use MPASM which installs together with MPLAB.

The P16F876A.INC file is (should be) located in ...Microchip\MPASM Suite\ If you can't find the MPASM Suite folder and P16F876.INC file then there's somehing "wrong" with your MPLAB installation. If looking for the file from with MCS Open File dialog, make sure you set the file-filter to display all files as it defaults to .bas & .pbp files making the .INC files not show up.

64 bit compatibillity (http://melabs.com/support/pbpissues.htm#64-bit)

/Henrik.

mark_s
- 27th July 2011, 21:22
To add what the others have said
You need to tell Micro Code Studio where Mpasm is located.
There is a pull down menu on MCS "view". I think it say's compiler/assembler options.
The same place you select PM or MPASM. There are two buttons "find manually" or "auto"
Try auto first it will scan your pc and tell MCS were mpasm and the inc files are
located. After this it will act like your old installation. None of this has to do with
64bit pc.

jrprogrammer
- 28th July 2011, 13:20
If you really HAVE TO have it the "old way", you can do it on Windows 7(pro). Go to the Microsoft website. Download and run "Virtual PC". Then download and run "Virtual XP". Once you have those two programs working, you can then load and run PBP, the old way. I've done it, but have since just learned to use MPASM, which works faster.
User results may vary,
JR