@ DEVICE pic16F886, HS_OSC ' System Clock Options
@ DEVICE pic16F886, WDT_OFF ' Watchdog Timer
@ DEVICE pic16F886, PWRT_ON ' Power-On Timer
@ DEVICE pic16F886, BOD_ON ' Brown-Out Detect
@ DEVICE pic16F886, LVP_OFF ' Low-Voltage Programming
@ DEVICE pic16F886, CPD_OFF ' Data Memory Code Protect
@ DEVICE pic16F886, PROTECT_OFF ' Program Code Protection
@ DEVICE pic16F886, WRT_OFF ' Flash Memory Word Enable

I have read through the Melabs blurb on config (Specifying configuration bit settings in PICBASIC PRO™ programs.)
but can't get my head around the waffle.
It's obviously written by geeks for other geeks to understand.
Not being a geek I just can't understand any of it.

So can anyone translate the above listing into a 2.60 config statement.

I don't necessarily want to know what it all means, I just want a statement that works and that I can use over and over.
I generally use the same Pic type for most things so a standard version of the above would be great.
_CONFIG_ SOMETHING OR OTHER

Thanks again,

HenrikOlsson
- 27th July 2011, 14:35
Hi,
There IS a standard, basic, working most of the time configuration fuse setting already setup for each and every chip that the compiler supports. You don't have to set them in your code if the default is OK.

If you wan't to see how they "work" and what they are simply open the .inc file for the specific target you're compiling for, it's located in the root of the PBP folder. For the 16F886 the fileneme is 16F866.INC and looks like this:

NOLIST
ifdef PM_USED
LIST
include 'M16F88x.INC' ; PM header
device pic16F886, intrc_osc_noclkout, wdt_on, mclr_on, lvp_off, protect_off
XALL
NOLIST

else

LIST
LIST p = 16F886, r = dec, w = -302
INCLUDE "P16F886.INC" ; MPASM Header
__config _CONFIG1, _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_ON & _MCLRE_ON & _LVP_OFF & _CP_OFF
NOLIST
endif
LIST
Now, the @ DEVICE statement is used when you're using PM as the assembler and the __CONFIG (note two underscores) is used when you're using MPASM as the assembler. If you're Win7 you can't use PM which means you're using MPASM which means @ DEVICE is the wrong "command".

In order to find out the "names" of the various fuses go to your MPASM folder and open the P16F886.INC file, at the end of that file you'll find this:

;================================================= =========================
;
; Configuration Bits
;
;================================================= =========================
_CONFIG1 EQU H'2007'
_CONFIG2 EQU H'2008'
;----- Configuration Word1 ------------------------------------------------
_DEBUG_ON EQU H'1FFF'
_DEBUG_OFF EQU H'3FFF'
_LVP_ON EQU H'3FFF'
_LVP_OFF EQU H'2FFF'
_FCMEN_ON EQU H'3FFF'
_FCMEN_OFF EQU H'37FF'
_IESO_ON EQU H'3FFF'
_IESO_OFF EQU H'3BFF'
_BOR_ON EQU H'3FFF'
_BOR_NSLEEP EQU H'3EFF'
_BOR_SBODEN EQU H'3DFF'
_BOR_OFF EQU H'3CFF'
_CPD_ON EQU H'3F7F'
_CPD_OFF EQU H'3FFF'
_CP_ON EQU H'3FBF'
_CP_OFF EQU H'3FFF'
_MCLRE_ON EQU H'3FFF'
_MCLRE_OFF EQU H'3FDF'
_PWRTE_ON EQU H'3FEF'
_PWRTE_OFF EQU H'3FFF'
_WDT_ON EQU H'3FFF'
_WDT_OFF EQU H'3FF7'
_LP_OSC EQU H'3FF8'
_XT_OSC EQU H'3FF9'
_HS_OSC EQU H'3FFA'
_EC_OSC EQU H'3FFB'
_INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT EQU H'3FFC'
_INTRC_OSC_CLKOUT EQU H'3FFD'
_EXTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT EQU H'3FFE'
_EXTRC_OSC_CLKOUT EQU H'3FFF'
_INTOSCIO EQU H'3FFC'
_INTOSC EQU H'3FFD'
_EXTRCIO EQU H'3FFE'
_EXTRC EQU H'3FFF'
;----- Configuration Word2 ------------------------------------------------
_WRT_OFF EQU H'3FFF' ; No prog memmory write protection
_WRT_256 EQU H'3DFF' ; First 256 prog memmory write protected
_WRT_1FOURTH EQU H'3BFF' ; First quarter prog memmory write protected
_WRT_HALF EQU H'39FF' ; First half memmory write protected
_BOR21V EQU H'3EFF'
_BOR40V EQU H'3FFF'

So, to change the CONFIG fuses you have two options:
1) Edit the 16F866.INC file in the PBP folder to have the CONFIG you want/need. Do make a backup of the original file first.
2) Comment out the CONFIG from the 16F866.INC file and instead put them in your code.

/Henrik.

muddy0409
- 27th July 2011, 16:55
Rightio, I opened the M16f88x.inc file in the PBP directory.
That first example you gave does not exist anywhere in the file??
This is getting all too hard..I'm gunno go play soliraire.

I do understand that I can edit the first example you gave and make it into a new default that suits me.
But, as I said, it ain't in there.

ScaleRobotics
- 27th July 2011, 17:24
Hi Muddy,

Not those Mxxx inc files, these 16f886.inc files :D. Check here: C:\PBP\

HenrikOlsson
- 27th July 2011, 18:11
Ah, come on now Peter...

If you wan't to see how they "work" and what they are simply open the .inc file for the specific target you're compiling for, it's located in the root of the PBP folder. For the 16F886 the fileneme is 16F866.INC and looks like this:

Why did you go open the M16F88x.inc ? (I don't even have that file on my system.)

It's not THAT hard...but you have to actually read ;-)

muddy0409
- 28th July 2011, 05:00
Aah, there it is. I didn't look through the whole directory, did I?
So If I change
__config _CONFIG1, _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_ON & _MCLRE_ON & _LVP_OFF & _CP_OFF
NOLIST
endif

to

__config _CONFIG1, _XT_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_OFF & _MCLRE_ON & _LVP_OFF & _CP_OFF
NOLIST
endif

that should then make the default suit my preference? And I shouldn't need to do a config with any new programs, unless I want or need to change them?

Thanks Man.

muddy0409
- 28th July 2011, 05:18
after a bit more experimentation....should be

__config _CONFIG1, _XT_OSC & _WDT_OFF & _MCLRE_ON & _LVP_OFF & _CP_OFF
NOLIST
endif

HenrikOlsson
- 28th July 2011, 06:48
Yep, looks good to me. As you can see, the different configuration settings for the oscillator (and everything else) are at the bottom of the P16F886.inc file (the one in the MPASM folder):

_LP_OSC EQU H'3FF8'
_XT_OSC EQU H'3FF9'
_HS_OSC EQU H'3FFA'
_EC_OSC EQU H'3FFB'
_INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT EQU H'3FFC'
_INTRC_OSC_CLKOUT EQU H'3FFD'
_EXTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT EQU H'3FFE'
_EXTRC_OSC_CLKOUT EQU H'3FFF'
_INTOSCIO EQU H'3FFC'
_INTOSC EQU H'3FFD'
_EXTRCIO EQU H'3FFE'
_EXTRC EQU H'3FFF'

On the 16F886 there are two CONFIG words (on other chips there are more) so if you need to change something that resides in another CONFIG word you have to add a second line, like

__config _CONFIG2, WRT_HALF & _BOR21V
Then you have your defaults and it is what will be included in every program you compile for that particular target, no need to have them in your code if you don't want to.

/Henrik.

cncmachineguy
- 28th July 2011, 12:32
Just throwing in my 10 cents here. Instead of changing the defaults in the PBP file, just make a seperate file with the configs you want. It can be a 1 line file with just

__config yada yada yada

then "INCLUDE" the file in your programs. There are 2 reasons I suggest this. First is if you change the PBP file, then upgrade later, all your changes are lost. Second It is a simple matter to change your include file for different setups like now you want to use internal osc and so forth. Also it is much easier to understand for YOU in a year or 2 what the configs were doing without having to track down the .inc and read it.

muddy0409
- 29th July 2011, 01:46
Just throwing in my 10 cents here. Instead of changing the defaults in the PBP file, just make a seperate file with the configs you want. It can be a 1 line file with just

__config yada yada yada

then "INCLUDE" the file in your programs. There are 2 reasons I suggest this. First is if you change the PBP file, then upgrade later, all your changes are lost. Second It is a simple matter to change your include file for different setups like now you want to use internal osc and so forth. Also it is much easier to understand for YOU in a year or 2 what the configs were doing without having to track down the .inc and read it.

Yeah, I probably will do that as soon as I work out the exact syntax etc. However the change to the inc file was a nice quick fixaround which works fine for now.

HenrikOlsson
- 29th July 2011, 19:00
It's a good suggestion, just remember that you still have to edit the stock .INC file, commenting out the default config that's there.

jellis00
- 7th August 2011, 22:54
Bert, your idea of putting CONFIG statement in an include file is a great one that I want to implement in all of my codes. However, I tried it in one of my working application codes and the code stopped working afterwards. In hopes you can tell me why here is what I did:
1. I created a new .inc file by copying and pasting the following statements into a new code file and saving it as a .inc file in the PBP folder where all of my codes are in a subfolder to the PBP folder.
INCLUDE "18F2550_4550_CONFIGS.inc" ' Setup CONFIGS for MCU
;--- if you un-comment these, you must comment the ones in the .inc file--
;ASM ; 18F2550/4550, 8mhz crystal
;__CONFIG _CONFIG1L, _PLLDIV_2_1L & _CPUDIV_OSC4_PLL6_1L & _USBDIV_2_1L
;__CONFIG _CONFIG1H, _FOSC_HSPLL_HS_1H
;__CONFIG _CONFIG2L, _PWRT_ON_2L & _BOR_OFF_2L & _VREGEN_ON_2L
;__CONFIG _CONFIG2H, _WDT_ON_2H & _WDTPS_512_2H
;__CONFIG _CONFIG3H, _PBADEN_OFF_3H ; PortB resets as digital
;__CONFIG _CONFIG4L, _LVP_OFF_4L & _XINST_OFF_4L
;ENDASM

2. I then replaced the CONFIG statements in my application code with the follwoing statement in which I commented out all of the original CONFIG statements:
Include "18F2550_4550_CONFIGS.inc"
;--- if you un-comment these, you must comment the ones in the .inc file--
;ASM ; 18F2550/4550, 8mhz crystal
; __CONFIG _CONFIG1L, _PLLDIV_2_1L & _CPUDIV_OSC4_PLL6_1L & _USBDIV_2_1L
; __CONFIG _CONFIG1H, _FOSC_HSPLL_HS_1H
; __CONFIG _CONFIG2L, _PWRT_ON_2L & _BOR_OFF_2L & _VREGEN_ON_2L
; __CONFIG _CONFIG2H, _WDT_ON_2H & _WDTPS_512_2H
; __CONFIG _CONFIG3H, _PBADEN_OFF_3H ; PortB resets as digital
; __CONFIG _CONFIG4L, _LVP_OFF_4L & _XINST_OFF_4L
;ENDASM

3. The modified application code compiles and assembles OK and appears to run, but it no longer works correctly and I can't see why.

4. If I comment out the new .inc statement and uncomment the _CONFIG statements it works OK again.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks, John Ellis

cncmachineguy
- 7th August 2011, 23:30
I assume they are not commented in the include file? I usually give the file a PBP extension, but I doubt that is it.Can you attach the .lst file created when you use the include?

Archangel
- 8th August 2011, 02:05
Just my thoughts . . . change the file extension to .bas and make it the first line of code . . .

Demon
- 8th August 2011, 05:12
I just override settings at the top of my programs.

' PicBasic Pro program
' Michelle Science Project
' Game Show Buttons, version 1, April 2011

ASM
@ DEVICE PIC16F877, HS_OSC, WDT_OFF, PWRT_ON, BOD_ON, LVP_OFF, CPD_OFF, WRT_OFF, DEBUG_OFF, PROTECT_OFF
ENDASM

DEFINE OSC 20 ' 15-33pF (22pF used)

yada yada yada

I could be using the default values; I never bothered to check.

But as someone said, I don't loose settings with future upgrades. Or worse, have the default settings changed and pull what little hair I have left trying to find what is wrong in my code.

jellis00
- 8th August 2011, 19:01
I assume they are not commented in the include file? I usually give the file a PBP extension, but I doubt that is it.Can you attach the .lst file created when you use the include?

I found what apparently was causing the problem, but don't quite understand why. I changed the file extension to .pbp and had it in a 2nd level folder below my PBP folder while my application code resides in a 3rd level folder. IT was my understanding that as long as an include file was in a folder at a higher level than the code that was using it, that the INCLUDE statement would find it. However, unless I placed the include file in the same folder as my application code or moved the file to the PBP folder my application code wouldn't work. As long as it was in the 2nd level folder my application code wouldn't work.

Can anyone tell me how this works?

mister_e
- 8th August 2011, 19:26
Just specify the path in your include line then. I do it all the time.

I have a root folder named PBP_PROG and some subfolders. One subfolder by application and a couple of other for various include type (DevBoards headers, LCD/GLCD drivers/wrapper, etc etc etc)
C:\PBP_Prog
C:\PBP_Prog\DemoXyz
C:\PBP_Prog\Nokia3310

Assuming I'm working on a prgram located in DemoXyz folder, If I want to use the Nokia3310 related include I just need to use the following line
INCLUDE "..\Nokia3310\GLCD_NOKIA.PBP"

the file extension do not make any difference, it could be .inc, pbp, bas, bak.. whatever.

For Win7/Vista, you may have a error message if the path+filename exceed 32 characters (or so)

All config fuses are in my code, never elsewhere/ I comment out the one in the PBP folder all the tie. Fortunately now with PBP3 we no longer need to do so. This reminds me I need to upgrade today... where<s my proof of purchase now... arg... I know I have it somewhere. Back in 1999/2000 :eek:

Archangel
- 8th August 2011, 19:44
the file extension do not make any difference, it could be .inc, pbp, bas, bak.. whatever.
:
As I continue to learn . . .

mister_e
- 8th August 2011, 22:46
figure an include to be nothing more than a text substitution... on a single line.