PDA

View Full Version : PM vs MPASM... DT Instant Interrupts

Heckler
- 5th July 2011, 23:26
Hey group,

Can someone please explain the differences between PM and MPASM?
Why would one choose one over the other? (I know DT ints requires MPASM)
How to select one or the other?
Does either work with MicroCode Studio?
How about FineLine?

whew... is that enough questions? (oops, another question:D)

I was going to give DT instant interrupts a test drive... but I see over on his web site that you MUST be using MPASM. I use Microcode Studio and when I went to change the assembler... It did not "Find Automatically", I tried to "Find Manually" but I can't get it to work... also there are several checkboxes that I am unsure of the best choice.

Also regarding DT Ints... does DT_INTs-14 work with PBP ver. 2.60c??
And, final question...

INCLUDE "DT_INTS-14.bas" ; Base Interrupt System
INCLUDE "ReEnterPBP.bas" ; Include if using PBP interrupts

What does that second remark mean? "Include if using PBP interrupts"??
When "would / would not" you need to use the second Include??

Thanks all

mackrackit
- 6th July 2011, 00:04
To use MPASM you have to install MPLAB.

Reason to use... for things like DT's interrupts and 18F chips.

Works with MCS and FineLine.

MPASM is all that I use.

INCLUDE "ReEnterPBP.bas" ; Include if using PBP interrupts

Just what it says... Include if using PBP interrupts... not ASMs

Jerson
- 6th July 2011, 13:48
the differences between PM and MPASM?PM is the in-built assembler in PBP. MPASM comes from MPLAB toolchain. If you're the kind that likes to read .LST files and learn how to ASM, PM is the better option simply because it generates shorter LST files. For Darrells code to work, you WILL need to use MPASM as he uses a lot of features present only in MPASM (esp. MACROS)

INCLUDE "ReEnterPBP.bas" ; Include if using PBP interruptsIf you want to write BASIC code within your interrupt section, you should use this. What it does is to save the state of the PBP variables on entering the ISR(interrupt service routine) and restore it back on exit. That way, you do not have to write ASM code in the ISR.

Heckler
- 6th July 2011, 15:38
If you want to write BASIC code within your interrupt section, you should use this.

Thanks Jerson,

Those few words allow me to understand when to use/not use the ReEnterPBP.bas include file.

As I have written in other posts... reading the PBP manual and other code examples is sometimes hard for me to clearly understand the examples and instructions given. Especially if they are written with few words and toward a more experienced reader.

I did get MPASM working.
By the way... Microchip has a new version of their IDE v8.73a realeased July 1, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to post, that helped a bunch.