PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get PicKit3 to debug using MPLAB 8.63

reppig
- 30th June 2011, 15:10
just started using my new PicKit3. I have a breadboard setup and I am using the Pickit3's connector plugged straight into the 6 pin header on my breadboard. I am not using the 44 pin demo board or the standard adapter.

I can program just fine however, I can't get the unit to debug. When I try to run I get:
PK3Err0040: The target device is not ready for debugging. Please check your configuration bit settings and program the device before proceeding.
I have checked the configuration bits (maybe not correctly) and I think the device is ready - I just programmed it.

I do know that when I compile my project, under Build Configuration I have no options so I can't select a debug compile. Does anyone have any suggestions???

I am using MPLAB 8.63, PicBasic Pro 2.60C, 18F2525 and PicKit3. I know the program works because it is a test program which just toggles 2 pins high/low.

mister_e
- 30th June 2011, 18:45
in your configuration fuses you have one called DEBUG (or something like that), it MUST be ON. I really don't have a clue how to make it work with PBP though. Maybe you need to INCLUDE some file or something?

Try in assembler, if this works, well.. contact Melabs.

Darrel Taylor
- 30th June 2011, 19:36
MPLAB automatically sets the DEBUG bit when you program the device from the "Debugger" menu.
Don't program from the "Programmer" menu.

Under ... Project > Build Options > Project > PICBASIC PRO tab, insure that "Source-Level Debug" is checked.

reppig
- 2nd July 2011, 00:44
Sorry but I do not understand the term. What is "configuration fuses"?

reppig
- 2nd July 2011, 00:46
I have check to make sure the Source-Level Debug is checked. How do you "program the device from the "Debugger" menu."

HenrikOlsson
- 2nd July 2011, 07:02
Have you tried to Debugger -> Program, and then Run?

reppig
- 5th July 2011, 17:50
Have you tried to Debugger -> Program, and then Run?

Thank you that worked. I never noticed the program command, I was busy hit run and looking at error messages. Thank you for your help.