PDA

View Full Version : Helping kids

Bruce
- 21st June 2011, 14:12
I received an email a few days back asking me how to test infrared and RF toy controllers from Harvey.

He found us on the internet, and just assmumed we could help him with repairs for remote controlled toys.

And, of course, we did assist...;o)

Harvey is a 70-year old retiree in Australia that spends his time repairing various toys, and then giving them to hospitals for children.

Note: He actually pays for and buys some broken toys, and spends his own time repairing these to provide to children in hospitals, so we had no problem at all helping him with a few simple test proceedures to save him time & $ in his efforts.

He really is one heck of a good person.

If there's anyone here from AU that has a few broken toys they could donate to Harvey, it would be pretty cool.

If you're in the US or any other place, and you have broken or working toys to donate, that would be pretty cool too...:o).

It's hard to find folks like Harvey that we even have the opportunity to help.

You can read a bit about him here;
http://www.thesenior.com.au/news.asp?publication=WA&articletype=general%20news&ArticleID=1469

We don't have any toys on-hand to send him, but we will entertain any offers to receive & pay for shipping to him if you have some broken toys you would like to donate.

We will collect any toys received here & pay for shipment directly to Harvey.

Helping kids is where it's at, so I just thought a quick mention of Harveys' efforts was worth the effort.

mister_e
- 21st June 2011, 16:32
Good idea!
I'll post the link on all the forum i'm member of, also on Facebook.

I suggest Everyone here should do the same!

mister_e
- 21st June 2011, 17:34
Done! Hope he'll get busy now ;)

dhouston
- 21st June 2011, 20:06
Just don't expect this 70-year old retiree to send his toys. I still play with mine.:p

mackrackit
- 22nd June 2011, 09:26
Or folks could do the same as Harvey in their locality.

dhouston
- 22nd June 2011, 12:33
Or folks could do the same as Harvey in their locality.The Marine Corps has the Toys for Tots Foundation (http://www.toysfortots.org/) but it's for new, unopened toys. I've seen occasional stories about someone doing something similar to the person in the thread but don't recall details. Checking with local TV stations will probably turn up similar local programs - they like stories like this, especially around the holidays.

Bruce
- 22nd June 2011, 12:53
There are tons of different organizations out there doing things for kids, I just thought this one mans efforts were worth mention. Especially for helping kids in hospitals. Thanks for your efforts Steve.

mister_e
- 22nd June 2011, 13:17
You're welcome! I'll also spread the word in here, so I may end to send a lot myself too :D

mackrackit
- 22nd June 2011, 15:19
There are tons of different organizations out there doing things for kids, I just thought this one mans efforts were worth mention. Especially for helping kids in hospitals. Thanks for your efforts Steve.
Yup, this guy should be an inspiration.

dhouston
- 22nd June 2011, 16:22
There are tons of different organizations out there doing things for kids, I just thought this one mans efforts were worth mention. Especially for helping kids in hospitals. Thanks for your efforts Steve.@Bruce,
I didn't intend to disparage his or your efforts. My humor is usually borderline - the border between sarcastic and sardonic - and that often falls flat on the web.:o