PDA

View Full Version : PICKit2 just crashes

johnbond
- 17th June 2011, 10:23
I have just loaded PICBasic Pro on my netbook running Windows 7 (32bit). It programs a device a couple of times then, during the "compile and program" the second DOS window freezes. The Power LED, Target LED and Busy LED remain lit on the PICKit 2. It won't program a device again until I delete and reload MPLAB and PICBasic Pro.

I am using:
MPLAB IDE v8.7
PICBasic Pro 2.60C
Microstudio 4.0.0.0
PK2CMD V1.20

The programmer is an old PICKit 2 programmer that I won about 3 years ago (may be older)

I have searched this forum but can't find a thread with a similar problem.

I see there is a firmware update for the PICKit 2 but it is a HEX file and the Microchip website doesn't have instructions on how to load it.

I am so frustrated -Please help

BobEdge
- 17th June 2011, 10:47
Hi,

In the tools menu of the PICkit2 software, at the bottom there is a download pickit 2 firmware menu item. If this does not work then you should be able to navigate to where you have manually downloaded the firmware. The programmer should then update itself. The busy LED should flash.

A bit confused when you say DOS window. I am using a very similar setup, and see no dos windows, maybe thats a windows 7 thing, I am on XP.

BobEdge
- 17th June 2011, 11:16
Just another thought.
Try downloading the latest PICkit2 software from microchip, yours is out of date.
Also have you tried using MPASM in the microcode studio options, compile & program. I think this is why you are getting dos windows, maybe windows 7 does not like the PM assembler very much.

Bob...

johnbond
- 17th June 2011, 19:05
Thanks Bob, that was painless. I'd missed the load new operating software under tools in PICKit2 software. I must have been sleeping.

This was an intermittent fault and it's working now so I just trust we've slammed it.

Have a great weekend

John in Kwa Dykuza

johnbond
- 17th June 2011, 20:24
OK So the problem persists, and it also occurs with the PICKit 2 software (so it's almost certainly not PICBasic Pro). Ive done some testing and the PICKit 2 dongle seems to fail and remain a problem for a period of time, regardless of whether I reboot, unplug the dongle or whatever. It won't reset and work again until the power is removed, both from the board and the USB cable.

I suspect I have a dud PICKit 2 dongle. It'll take about a week to locate a new one and get it shipped to me (one of the sacrificed of choosing to live in a remote area).

Thanks for all your help BOB

and for information purposes - the DOS windows that open in Windows 7 are for mpasmwin.exe and pk2cmd.exe. These are probably C+ programs used by Microchip.

Kind regards again

John

Archangel
- 18th June 2011, 21:13
I have (successfully ?) crashed the PICKit2 on many occasions :D
What always causes my crashes are short circuits when using the PICKit2 to power my device. I then have to either check communication, reboot the pickit software, unplug the pickit from the usb or all three .

johnbond
- 19th June 2011, 15:29
Thanks Archangel, that helps reinforce my feeling that I have a hardware/dongle failure. Unplugging the cable and rebooting PICBasic don't help. I am using an existing PCB that works.

Archangel
- 20th June 2011, 02:51
I do not reboot PBP, I reboot the PICKit2 software after IT crashes. I think that is in there (either the operating system or PICKit2 software) to protect the USB ports from overload failure. Does it crash with only the PICKit2 attached and no demo board? A short will manifest as soon as you check the power on box in the PICKit2 programmers window.

johnbond
- 20th June 2011, 19:30
Thanks ArchAngel

OK So the whole system works well on my ancient Pentium tower running XP. This PICBasic software is neat! I have run 5 demos and reprogrammed the chip 30 or 40 times! Even the serial coms is working!

But the PICKit Dongle crashes on my Acer netbook model 751h running Windows 7. I notice that the mouse doesn't work on those 2 USB ports either. It was like that from new and there is something in the literature about it. Why can't you find something when you look for it.

I have some more head scratching to do...

I was born BC (before computers, 1952 and the IBM Aniac was made in 1953) so I can't use a touchpad. I have to have a mouse.

johnbond
- 26th June 2011, 07:09
This thread resolved!!!

The dongle then started doing the same thing on my old PC and I tried to order a 2nd PICKit 2 but there is no stock in South Africa. I opened the dongle up and ran a soldering iron over all the solder joints.

It seems to be working fine now.

Dwight gave a useful tip for PICKit 2 useds on one of the other threads. Keep the PICKit 2 software running in the background and use it to program the PIC. You have access to a lot more features that using the programming engine inside PICBasic Pro. (It is also easier to identify dud dongles!!!)

Thanks for all your help

John

Archangel
- 26th June 2011, 07:40
The connector gets a bunch of repetitive stress, I know I had to resolder mine a while back too.