PDA

View Full Version : PicBasicPro+DT Interrupts vs mikroC PRO for PIC

netstranger.nz
- 16th March 2011, 20:09
Hi Guys

The place I work for have just purchased mikroC PRO for PIC. I am currently using Picbasicpro compiler and I am quite happy with it. In saying so I have to admit that I wouldn't use it if there were no DT instant Interrupt system designed for it by Darrel Taylor.
Have some used mikroC PRO for PIC http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/7/mikroc-pro-for-pic/. What are the cons and pros compare to PicBasicPro+DT Interrupts?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

rmteo
- 17th March 2011, 14:57
mikroC (as well as all the other mikroE compilers) have full support for interrupts and do not require any additional routines.

Archangel
- 21st March 2011, 06:22
Hi ya netstranger.nz,
I am just learning C++ right now, and not mikroe C, BUT as luck would have it I Do have an opinion ( who would have thought ) PBP interrupts " ON Interrupt " do leave a bit to be desired, and DT-INTS rock, but what IS DT_INTS anyway ? Here comes the opinion part, As I See It, DT_INTS is a function, much the same as the "C" functions which handle interrupts. Basic and C compilers essentially just turn human mnemonics into assembly code (which DT-INTS are) and the assembler MPASM turns it into the machine code (HEX) the pic requires. As I see it, the real advantage to C over Basic is this, All variables in basic are global and C can have temporary non global vars, and as such uses a bit less memory. Your program only has to work, every time. Both compilers will do that.
All that said, I vote use both! The upside to C is code portability from PICs to ATMEL to ? ? ? as there are flavors of C for almost every MCU on the market.

Acetronics2
- 21st March 2011, 15:54
Being Honest ....

1) MikroC do not have the Interrupts priority system Darrel has implemented ... ahaaaaa :D

2) PBP + DT interrupts is rather difficult to use with small devices showing small RAM ( say 12F675/16F84A ....) ... Ohhhhhh, do not tell Darrel ...
But, in this particular case ... Basic interrupts are not the best language to use :p

3) MikroC consumes LOTS of ROM for variables conversion to text as soon as you use graphics ( LCD or GLCDS ) ... ahaaaaa :D

Alain

PS: I use Both ...

rmteo
- 21st March 2011, 18:13
Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
I totally agree that you should stick with 8 bits.

sayzer
- 22nd March 2011, 05:55
Hi Guys

The place I work for have just purchased mikroC PRO for PIC. I am currently using Picbasicpro compiler and I am quite happy with it. In saying so I have to admit that I wouldn't use it if there were no DT instant Interrupt system designed for it by Darrel Taylor.
Have some used mikroC PRO for PIC http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/7/mikroc-pro-for-pic/. What are the cons and pros compare to PicBasicPro+DT Interrupts?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

We have some one like Darrel here all the time, who is willing to help & support with nothing in return.
Since we are comparing, can we also consider him as a part of PBP?
----------------

mackrackit
- 24th March 2011, 04:21
We have some one like Darrel here all the time, who is willing to help & support with nothing in return.
Since we are comparing, can we also consider him as a part of PBP?
----------------
Being Darrel works for Melabs I would say he is part of PBP.

sayzer
- 24th March 2011, 11:50
Being Darrel works for Melabs I would say he is part of PBP.

My point actually was; he is actually a part of the solid product.

:)

larryvc
- 25th March 2011, 02:55
I totally agree that you should stick with 8 bits.

I absolutely agree! rmteo are you serious?;)

I'll get rid of the signature later!:)

rmteo
- 26th March 2011, 21:19
I absolutely agree! rmteo are you serious?;)

I'll get rid of the signature later!:)
Too bad LPC isn't MIPS. ;)

larryvc
- 27th March 2011, 19:30
Too bad LPC isn't MIPS. ;)

Some have argued that Microchip chose the wrong core. I think both cores have merits and flaws. Combining the best of both would be awesome.

I'm going to this http://esc.eetimes.com/siliconvalley/. I don't see NXP, CodeRed or Microchip as being there though.

rmteo
- 31st March 2011, 02:18
....I'm going to this http://esc.eetimes.com/siliconvalley/. I don't see NXP, CodeRed or Microchip as being there though.
AFAIK, both NXP and CodeRed will be there. Doesn't look like Microchip will be going, though.