PDA

View Full Version : Mplab x ide

fowardbias
- 29th January 2011, 16:39
OMG! Microchip has released a new Beta IDE (MPLAB X) Totally a new IDE! I have been using 8.63 with PBP as the Basic language tool. I use the MPLAB Assembler and C-18 tools for the 16 bit series. I have not down loaded this new IDE because it does not support the PIC Kit 2 (programmer). Why they didn't support the PK2 and did support the PK3 leaves many of us out of the picture. Let us know if the transition from files in 8.63 to X goes well. Enjoy the fun! RC

Acetronics2
- 29th January 2011, 17:28
Hi,

Seen that one ???

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14158

I think no ... :D

Alain

PS :

it does not support the PIC Kit 2 (programmer). Why they didn't support the PK2 and did support the PK3 leaves many of us out of the picture.

You REALLY sure ??? ... I don't !!!

Pickit 2 & 3 and ICD 2 & 3 ARE in the programmer - debugger list ... :D
just the Picstart is missing

fowardbias
- 29th January 2011, 18:19
I didn't see that info in the Intro X PDF, good news for me, I'll download X and try later try later. RC

mackrackit
- 29th January 2011, 20:19
I have to ask why?

What will this new one do that the old one can not... Make you a better programmer?

Acetronics2
- 30th January 2011, 10:18
I have to ask why?

What will this new one do that the old one can not... Make you a better programmer?

Hi, Dave

@First show Microchip thinks to it's valued customers ...
:D

Alain

ScaleRobotics
- 30th January 2011, 16:16
I have to ask why?

Looks like it does some pretty cool things. I like the version history function. And since MplabX is open source, companies providing 3rd party compilers could theoretically distribute their software to be an add on, and work directly within MPLAB X's shell. Not to mention the Mac and Linux versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajz6ZlqdRLw

mackrackit
- 30th January 2011, 19:31
It does look interesting. Too bad it is java net beaned, but hey, it is free...

mister_e
- 30th January 2011, 21:01
Probably not bad, but it doesn't turn me on. Seems they want to do something like the Eclipse platform... which is a really bloat IDE, BUT cross-platform.

rmteo
- 30th January 2011, 22:51
What about Eclipse do you consider bloated?

mister_e
- 30th January 2011, 23:22
Not sure how better it is actually, but in the past they had load of problem with the so-called GDI (++) alike implementation, so the screen refresh was not slow.... bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttt tttttttttttttt rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll lllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slow. The interface by itself, it take ages to load, their AutoHide&Pin implementation is a pain to work with.

Everything you want to add into is a plug-in... once again this increase the load time again and again. Sure it is a really powerfull IDE, but it is bloat coded and have serious memory leak on various plug-in.

Probably because it is an open source, so everyone can access/modify it, with good or bad programming skills.

I understand why Microchip haven't use it...

rmteo
- 30th January 2011, 23:42
If, as you say, Eclipse is so bad what alternatives do you suggest?

Also, isn't NetBeans (which is what MPLAB-X is based on) also open source and one of the reasons why Microchip is moving away from their proprietary platform?

mister_e
- 31st January 2011, 00:38
I don't know much about NetBeans I'm sorry. But I know Sun officially support it since a year or so. I still think Eclipse is a decent plateform, but I also think they lost control of it. That's my personal feeling. I haven't check their latest version to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm not sure why Microchip do it though. If they choose an open-source, they don't really need to fully support it either.

I feel they're sick and tired to hear people moaning because they can't access to ANY feature of MPLAB without having to go through their NDA process. Grant some access to your IDE, and hop, you'll see plugins poping here and there each and everyday. I doubt they will give a full access (if any) to their debugger & Sim, so MPLAB would probably be around for awhile again.

It looks like an easy task to create an IDE... but it's not. Worst when you know that nobody wants the same thing, nobody work the same way and people always ask for more. Only the code editor & parser + text highlightning is a pain to create... worst if you want to implement a full features code editor such as Microsoft Visual Studio one. AST theory is simple on paper only :D

rmteo
- 31st January 2011, 16:26
I use the Atollic Truestudio (STM32F) and Code Red (LPC1xxx) tool-chains which are based on the Eclipse IDE and speed is a non-issue. Personally I regard them as significantly faster and much more pleasant to work with than MPLAB (I have not yet tried X). The plug-ins available from Atollic, such as TrueINSPECTOR (static source code inspection, MISRA-C), TrueANALYZER (code coverage analysis) and TrueVERIFIER (advanced test automation) are really useful for developing, testing and maintaining complex embedded systems.

mister_e
- 31st January 2011, 18:17
Note taken, I'll have a look at those some days.

thanks.

Ioannis
- 3rd February 2011, 08:32
Also the new X allows at least two project open at the same time and debugging at the same time!

Ioannis