PDA

View Full Version : Porting code to new PIC

malc-c
- 29th December 2010, 13:12
Guy's,

Currently have a project running on an 18F4580. It uses a DS1307 RTC which uses the I2C bus, however I'm looking at adding networking to my project based on an Enc26j60 which uses the SPI interface. I've been browsing Microchips site for best part of the morning and have located what seems to be the ideal chip to port the project to. Its an 18F45K22 (http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en546239)

Basically this has two MSSP however my limited knowledge of deciphering datasheets I can't work out if you can configure one MSSP as IC2 and the other as SPI and have them running at the same time ? Could someone take a look at the datasheet and advise me on my choice of chip and if I can indeed have an Ic2 and SPI bus running at the same time http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41412D.pdf

THIA

HenrikOlsson
- 29th December 2010, 13:55
Hi Malcolm,
As far as I can see they are two, of each other, completely independent peripherals, see note 1 and 2 on page 208. You should have no problem setting one up for I²C and the other for SPI. Lots of registers to set up though ;-)

Make sure to read thru the errata sheet (http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/80498B.pdf) as well, I don't see the MSSP modules being mentioned but apparently there can be some pretty serious silicon bugs. The HLVD module for example appears to be completely useless.

/Henrik.

malc-c
- 29th December 2010, 14:50
Thanks for that.

I had noted it stated independent MSSP, but I wasn't sure if it basically meant that that the chip was in SPI mode or IC2 mode. Those registers are going to be my downfall. The data sheet appears to have nearly 50 pages covering the MSSP's - any suggestions as to what PBP commands I need to achieve this mix ?

HenrikOlsson
- 29th December 2010, 18:10
Hi Malcolm,
Sorry but AFIK PBP doesn't have commands that "drives" the MSSP modules (like HSEROUT/HSERIN does with USART). I think you have to manually set up the module(s) and then, in one way or another (polling, interruptdriven etc) read and write data to them. Unfortunately I've never played with such a module - heck, I haven't even used I2CREAD/WRITE....

/Henrik.

mackrackit
- 29th December 2010, 19:11
http://melabs.com/resources/samples/pbp/spimast.htm

http://melabs.com/resources/samples/pbp/i2c.htm

malc-c
- 30th December 2010, 12:12
Thanks Dave.

My christmas present to myself arrived today - three add-on boards for the EasyPIC5 board, one of which was the Ethernet Board :) - I'm going to check the data sheets for the PICs I have in my hobby box and find one with an SPI interface and have some fun !

Archangel
- 31st December 2010, 00:13
Thanks Dave.

My christmas present to myself arrived today - . . .
I was on the naughty list . . . I didn't even buy me a present! ;)

malc-c
- 31st December 2010, 16:38
Uhmm. Well I finally got chance to play with some of my new add-ons last night. I had to go over to the Dark Side and downloaded the example files from Mikroelectronica's web site, but no matter what chip I used (including the recommended 18F4520) couldn't ping the "server" let alone view the basic website in the HTTP example. The 10Mb connection LED lit and there was the occasional flicker on the activity LED, and I even modified the code to flash an LED on the EasyPIC5 board prior to waiting in the packet loop so I knew the chip was running OK. :(

Looking on their support forum, it seems quite a common problem, especially as the examples are for the standard (now unsupported) microbasic and not the pro version, and a lot of the threads seem to stop dead with no resolve... (unlike this lovely place where people help until the problem is fixed :) )

It would be nice if PBP could support ethernet in the same way Mikrobasic does (dedicated library files and websites in strings).... maybe this could be Darrel's next gift to the PBP community :)

Acetronics2
- 31st December 2010, 20:21
Hi, Malc

You can try to contact Bruno Gavand ( program author ) here :

http://www.micro-examples.com/forums/

... hé,hé ...

Alain

malc-c
- 31st December 2010, 22:21
Thanks,

I've registered and awaiting confirmation so I can post the questions. I'm sure it is something simple as I'm able to compile the code, upload it and the pic runs (modified the example to flash a LED on port B a few times as it went through the code. I also get a solid LED indicating connectivity and random flashes on the activity LED. I've tried 18F4520 with 4MHz, 10Mhz, 12Mhz xtals, and various OSC settings (HS-PPL etc) in the programmer - Tried it with pull ups and pull downs on portc.0, 1 and 2. Thing is that if I re-load my thermostat code into an 18F4580 and connect the RTC on port C it runs sweet. Turn off, remove the RTC module, plug in the serial Ethernet board and then burn the demo code (modified to contain my network IP dns etc setting) I get the same issue described above.

Tried various examples from their website and still no joy. There is only one jumper on the ethernet board which selects the voltage - in my case 5v as that's the voltage of the supply and logic lines - this (according to the basic manual and schematic) enables the 3.3 regulator and routes the logic through the level shifter

http://www.mcustore.com/23-122-thickbox/serial-ethernet-add-on-board.jpg

If anyone has some PBP code to try to confirm the SPI interface works between the PIC and the ethernet board - sorta flash LED if comms established - it would help put my mind at rest that there is no fault with the board

malc-c
- 31st December 2010, 22:59
http://melabs.com/resources/samples/pbp/spimast.htm

Dave, why is it that when I download the sample code for the above, I get a "symbol not previously defined SSPCON" The only difference I've made is to remove the LCD lines in the example and added the line to inc a hw file which was an edited version of the same file I used for my thermostat project

ASM
__CONFIG _CONFIG1H, _OSC_HSPLL_1H
__CONFIG _CONFIG2L, _PWRT_ON_2L
__CONFIG _CONFIG2H, _WDT_ON_2H & _WDTPS_512_2H
__CONFIG _CONFIG3H, _PBADEN_OFF_3H
__CONFIG _CONFIG4L, _LVP_OFF_4L & _XINST_OFF_4L
ENDASM

DEFINE OSC 48

ADCON1 = $0F
clear

DEFINE LCD_DREG PORTB ' LCD Data port
DEFINE LCD_DBIT 0 ' starting Data bit (0 or 4)
DEFINE LCD_EREG PORTB ' LCD Enable port
DEFINE LCD_EBIT 5 ' Enable bit (on EasyPIC 5 LCD)
DEFINE LCD_RSREG PORTB ' LCD Register Select port
DEFINE LCD_RSBIT 4 ' Register Select bit (on EasyPIC 5 LCD)
DEFINE LCD_BITS 4 ' LCD bus size (4 or 8 bits)
DEFINE LCD_LINES 4 ' number of lines on LCD
DEFINE LCD_COMMANDUS 2000 ' Command delay time in us
DEFINE LCD_DATAUS 50 ' Data delay time in us

The example code below

' Name : SPIMAST.pbp
' Compiler : PICBASIC PRO Compiler 2.6
' Assembler : PM or MPASM
' Target PIC : 40-pin 16F or 18F
' Hardware : Lab-X1, Lab-X2 or similar
' Oscillator : 4MHz internal or external
' Keywords : LCDOUT, HARDWARE SPI MASTER
' Description : PicBasic Pro program to read and write to SPI slave
' using the hardware synchronous serial port. Connect SDI(master) to
' SDO(slave), SDO(master) to SDI(slave), AND SCK(master) to SCK(slave).
' Common ground is required.
'
' Sends ascii "?" to request data, waits for a "!" to begin receiving data.
' Expects to find the ADC conversion value in the 6th position of the received
' string.
'
INCLUDE "hw.pbp"

SSPEN VAR SSPCON.5 ' SSP Enable bit
CKP VAR SSPCON.4 ' Clock Polarity Select
SMP VAR SSPSTAT.7 ' Data input sample phase
CKE VAR SSPSTAT.6 ' Clock Edge Select bit
SSPIF VAR PIR1.3 ' SPI interrupt flag

i VAR BYTE ' loop counter
a VAR BYTE[6] ' Holds 6 characters read from slave

ADCON1 = 7 ' Set PORTA and PORTE to digital
Low PORTE.2 ' LCD R/W line low (W)
Pause 100 ' Wait for LCD to start up

TRISC = 0 ' set PORTC I/O
SSPEN = 1 ' enable SPI pins
CKP = 0 ' clock idle low
CKE = 0 ' transmit on idle to active transition
SSPIF = 0 ' clear buffer full status
SMP = 0 ' sample in middle of data

mainloop:
GoSub getdata ' initiate conversion and receive data
LCDOut $fe, 1, STR a\5, DEC a[5] ' display received string
Pause 100
GoTo mainloop ' do it forever

getdata:
SSPBUF = "?" ' send ? to start conversion
GoSub letclear ' wait for buffer to clear
IF SSPBUF<>"!" Then getdata ' wait for reply (!)

For i = 0 to 5 ' loop for 6 characters
SSPBUF = 0 ' write to SSPBUF to start clock
GoSub letclear ' wait for receipt
a[i] = SSPBUF ' store received character in array
Next i ' get next character
Return

letclear:
IF SSPIF = 0 Then letclear ' wait for SPI interupt flag
PauseUs 25 ' 25uS fudge factor
SSPIF = 0 ' reset flag
Return

End

PIC is the same 18F4580 used for my Thermostat project - Help !!

Bruce
- 31st December 2010, 23:10
Check those datasheets...:)

This PIC only has SSPCON1 or SSPCON2.

malc-c
- 31st December 2010, 23:20
Check those datasheets...:)

This PIC only has SSPCON1 or SSPCON2.

You beat me to it :) - I was wading through the datasheet and was basically going to post that question --- SSPCON1 compiles OK ;)