PDA

View Full Version : MPU-6000 World’s First Integrated 3-axis Gyroscope, 3-axis Accelerometer

ScaleRobotics
- 16th November 2010, 15:09
I thought this was pretty cool. Gyros and accelerometers all in one chip, the first of its kind.

http://invensense.com/mems/gyro/mpu6000.html

Digital-output of 6 or 9-axis sensor fusion data in rotation matrix, quaternion, or Euler Angle format
Tri-Axis angular rate sensors (gyros) with a sensitivity of 131 LSBs/°/sec and a full-scale range of ±250, ±500, ±1000, and ±2000°/sec
Tri-Axis accelerometers with a programmable full scale range of ±2g, ±4g, ±8g and ±16g
Reduced settling effect and sensor drift by eliminating cross-axis sensitivity between accelerometers and gyros
Digital Motion Processing™ (DMP™) engine offloads complex sensor fusion, sensor timing synchronization and gesture detection
Motion Processing Library support for Android, Linux and Windows
Embedded algorithms for run-time bias and compass calibration. No user intervention required
Digital-output temperature sensor
Digital input on Sync pin to support video Electronic Image Stabilization and GPS
Programmable interrupt supports gesture recognition, panning, zooming, scrolling, free fall interrupt, high-G interrupt, zero-motion detection, tap detection, and shake detection
VDD supply voltages of 2.5V±5%, 3.0V±5%, 3.3V±5%; VDDIO at 1.8V± 5%
Gyro operating current: 5mA, gyro standby current: 5µA; accelerometer operation current: 350µA, accelerometer low power mode current: 20µA@10Hz
400kHz Fast Mode I2C or up to 20MHz SPI serial host interfaces
On-chip timing generator with ±1% frequency variation over full temperature range
User self test
10,000 g shock tolerant
Smallest and thinnest package for portable devices (4x4x0.9mm QFN)
RoHS and Green compliant

cncmachineguy
- 16th November 2010, 16:06
Walter you HAVE to stop putting these way too cool things up here. I saw this on their site about a year ago, they had it in a block diagram saying it was the way to go, but no information was available for it. I guess they finally got it out.

rsocor01
- 16th November 2010, 19:27
Sparkfun has a similar product (not a single chip though). It communicates with the MCU with an I2C connection also. It has a 3-axis accelerometer (ADXL345) and a 3-axis gyro (ITG-3200). It is kind of pricy and right now is out of stock.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10121

ScaleRobotics
- 17th November 2010, 06:21
This is what has me really interested:

The MPU-6000 has an embedded 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, and Digital Motion Processor™ (DMP™) hardware accelerator engine with a secondary I2C port that interfaces to third party accelerometer, compass, or other sensors to deliver a complete 9-axis sensor fusion output to its primary I2C port as a single data stream for the application.

Of course, DMP could just be a new marketing term. But it would be interesting to see what kind of processing it can do. 9 axis fusion output sounds pretty nice. I wonder if they are doing any kalman filtering. Guess we will have to wait for it's data sheet.