PDA

View Full Version : cannot write to PIC

RFEFX
- 23rd September 2010, 01:38
Hello,
I am using a PIC16F877A on a custom board. the issue i am having is that it seems that when i compile code and load it .. everything is fine and its all successful even the verify. but when i read the chip its empty. and blank check confirms that the device is empty. when i try to switch to a different pic it states target device does not match selected device. so it definitely sees my target device, so i do have communication, supposedly.

any suggestions?
Is there a config file i have to set?

Thanks

flipper_md
- 23rd September 2010, 02:57
could be many things...
sometimes I have issue that my MPlab forgot that I want to use power from my ICD2 during programming.
I have to go back in settings, power tab, and re-check the option.
You may also watch the power status in that window.

mackrackit
- 23rd September 2010, 02:57
There are always configs.
By default PBP uses the *.inc file in the PBP directory. But that probably is not the problem.

You have not told us about your programmer.

Archangel
- 23rd September 2010, 03:16
Hello,
I am using a PIC16F877A on a custom board. the issue i am having is that it seems that when i compile code and load it .. everything is fine and its all successful even the verify. but when i read the chip its empty. and blank check confirms that the device is empty. when i try to switch to a different pic it states target device does not match selected device. so it definitely sees my target device, so i do have communication, supposedly.

any suggestions?
Is there a config file i have to set?

Thanks
Maybe, or not. I have seen this using a JDM style programmer when the wrong COM port is selected, as for it definately seeing the target, maybe not, if it is compiled for 1 chip and a different one is selected, then maybe just the software is throwing the error.
What programmer and or software are you using? ICSP ? Addendum: The JDM programmers have a jumper you MUST move to do the larger 16F series, as opposed to say a 16F648A.

RFEFX
- 23rd September 2010, 03:56
Sorry for leaving out the specifics. i am using pic basic pro with the me labs U2 programmer via ICSP. i have tested the external 20Mhz clock is running.

i am getting one error once in a while as follows:
Configuration verify error at 0000
2FCF should be 2F0E
Continue Verifying?

mackrackit
- 23rd September 2010, 04:29
Did code protect get turned on maybe?

RFEFX
- 23rd September 2010, 05:56
Ok.... its been a while since ive used my programmer... and forgot that you actually have to load the .HEX file into the programmer... roflmao,

sorry bout that.. false alarm. all is working !