PDA

View Full Version : PICKit2 vs. JDM (Noob question)

loamobn
- 19th September 2010, 03:15
(First post, congrats on maintaining one of the more mature forums in the series of pipes we call the internets. Though I guess thats not saying much...)

Im asking here because Ive asked the all-knowing-one (Google) and he hasnt been able to clarify it.

So Ive got a good deal of experience in non-software electronics (dont know what the word is), but Ive gotten a bit tripped up on starting with microcontrollers. There's just such an abundance of details (architecture, compatibility issues, software choices, etc.) that my 4000-series brain isnt used to. I bought a cheap JDM programmer (which recommended winpic8000 software) before I found out that virtually all the web tutorials are geared towards PICKit 2 programmers. And I only have experience with BASIC (on a TI-83!) and a bit of html, so I cant deduce an answer from previous knowledge. And my library doesnt have any microcontroller books (lots of Twilight books though...)

So the question is, can a JDM combined with freeware be used in the same way as a PICKit 2? If so, are there any (functionally) relevant differences? If not, why? I understand the PICKit 2 has an in-board PIC itself, but surely a computer could emulate the PICKit so that a simple JDM serial port connection and PICKit setup have indistinguishable outputs? I take it from what Ive read that it makes more sense to use a C-compiler than an assembler, any thoughts? JAL, Pascal, and Python have also been mentioned...

I have no difficulty with learning, but I need to know what the map looks like before I go on the road trip. Thanks for your time, I did try to figure it out on my own (and i did use the search engine) but its just not clicking. And its worth mentioning that Im dirt poor, so any new purchase needs to be really justifiable (like abacus vs. mathematica or flinstones car vs. ferrari).

Thanks!

Archangel
- 19th September 2010, 03:40
JDM style will program "most" 12F & 16F series chips, A bit more work than the PICKIT2, I really like using PICKit2 with the demo boards because of the 1 click reprogram directly from MCS. You will wear out the pins of your PICs installing and reprogramming them with the JDM, I like the PICKit1 for the 12F series. You cannot go wrong with the PICKit2, note there is a PICKit3 on the market now too. Also note the jumpers on the JDM, you have to move one of them when you move to the "larger" 16Fs from say a 16F628A to a 16F877 and you get virtually zero instructions or documentation with the JDM, at least I didn't get any with the 2 I bought.
"And its worth mentioning that I'm dirt poor,. . . "
You are in pretty good company as far as that goes, lots of that to share. It really is an advantage to be poor at least once in your life, it makes you more creative and appreciative. If necessity is the Mother of invention, then certainly poverty is the Mother of improvisation. You know the lids from the peanut butter makes great wheels for a hobby robot, rubber bands make tires . . . I have been saving beer bottle caps, I saw a toy snake in AAAs booklet, I am dieing to have my grandson make, My Mom has trivets made from them, with crochet covers. We as a society waste too much.

Acetronics2
- 19th September 2010, 15:04
I bought a cheap JDM programmer (which recommended winpic8000 software) before I found out that virtually all the web tutorials are geared towards PICKit 2 programmers. And I only have experience with BASIC (on a TI-83!) and a bit of html, so I cant deduce an answer from previous knowledge. And my library doesnt have any microcontroller books (lots of Twilight books though...)

So the question is, can a JDM combined with freeware be used in the same way as a PICKit 2?
Thanks!

Hi,

You really just can't compare both ...

JDM works when it has time to ( sorry, but read forums advices !!! ) and need some " old " serial ports from the computer.
after that ... freewares do not support the whole PIC range ... and some are really buggy ...

Pickit 2 has a logic analyzer and a programmer-to-go feature, runs on an USB port, and recognize the chip to program for safety ...

And also it can be used as a standalone programmer ...

overall it is a MICROCHIP product ... without any bug, and supporting a maximum range of processors !!!

Direct drive from MPLAB IDE also is a small bonus ...

Con's ...the very last chips are not supported ...

Considering your message ... it's not a real problem ... ;)

Can the JDM replace a Pickit ???

JDM ( if it dares to works aboard your computer ...) will program some very usual chips. so it can be used as a very simple programmer.

that's all !

Alain

HankMcSpank
- 19th September 2010, 17:29
Hi,

Pickit 2 has a logic analyzer and a programmer-to-go feature, runs on an USB port, and recognize the chip to program for safety ...

Alain

& don't forget the PICKIT2's UART tool (which comes integral with the Pickit2 programmer software).....a positive boon for easily getting serial (debug) data displayed on your PC screen.

If money's too tight to mention...there are Pickit2 clones made in china (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clone-Microchip-Programmer-PICkit2-/250699224537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ed695d9 ) which are apparently almost identical to Microchip's offering (you can even use Microchip's Pickit2 firmware on them!)

mackrackit
- 19th September 2010, 18:19
You want free ware and do not mind learning?
MPLAB is free, learn ASM.

Cheap programmers? The cheapest is the PicKit2.
http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=PG164120
The time you spend finding out a JDM does not work and whatever you pay for it will cost more than buying something that works the first time.