PDA

View Full Version : PicStart Plus ICSP Adapter

l_gaminde
- 14th August 2010, 04:36
I started to layout an ICSP adapter with screw, terminal blocks and a 40 pin header, Then after I was done i thought someone must have done this before so are there any good in circuit adapters for the PicStart Plus. If so do tell I have reached the end of removing chips and reinstalling them.

mackrackit
- 14th August 2010, 06:39
Sounds like you got fancy.
I just took a 40 pin wire wrap DIP socket, soldered on the five wires needed and rand them to a the project board.
Made another with a 5 pin socket on the end of the wires to plug onto a 5 pin header kind of like the PicKit2 does.
Just be sure to kill the power to the board before programming.

Acetronics2
- 14th August 2010, 08:51
Sounds like you got fancy.
I just took a 40 pin wire wrap DIP socket, soldered on the five wires needed and rand them to a the project board.
Made another with a 5 pin socket on the end of the wires to plug onto a 5 pin header kind of like the PicKit2 does.
Just be sure to kill the power to the board before programming.

Hi, Dave ...

It's more than possible, I've seen it years ago !!!

there are 5 unused goldened pads on the Picstart PCB that are the ICSP 5 signals.

:eek::eek: Just think they are NOT aligned in the correct sequence !!! :eek: EEK !!!

http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-3351.html

Alain

mackrackit
- 14th August 2010, 21:03
Just think they are NOT aligned in the correct sequence !!!
Will that make the code run backwards?? :D

Acetronics2
- 14th August 2010, 21:37
Will that make the code run backwards?? :D

No, Dave

the Pic will re-program your PC ... :D

Talking seriously ...

How much is the Pickit 2, those days ???? ... yes, I do agree !

Alain

l_gaminde
- 14th August 2010, 23:28
Ok here is what Im going to do! I found a .100 ICD DIP flat cable plug @ mouser and jameco so i will use flat ribbon cable or I will try 28 AWG stranded wire to a .100 single row connector, I was having boards made for my project and added this connector and a diode in the MCLR line have it runing on my desk works great but there are wires everywhere. hate that! This is a LanC board with Pir sensor and Serial input/output

l_gaminde
- 18th August 2010, 21:53
This is so much cleaner

mackrackit
- 18th August 2010, 22:06
Why would you run all 40 wires??

Save time and headache and probably money. Get a PicKit2!!

l_gaminde
- 18th August 2010, 22:17
Its not all 40 is all 20, I got a number of these adapters and some #28 wire also will be making 5-6 pin ones next, just wanted to make one real fast and test it, cut down an old hard drive cable. I also got some 40 pin adapters never know !!

Larry

mackrackit
- 18th August 2010, 22:23
OK
28 :)
5 is all you need. Cuts done on the wires some.

works great but there are wires everywhere. hate that!

l_gaminde
- 18th August 2010, 22:29
I think 6 if I do LV programming will look that up again, I don't think i will be doing LV, so 5 will look good and the #28 wire will bend around anything. Can't wait till friday when the new boards arrive with a programming header built in.

by the way where is Welton in AZ

mackrackit
- 18th August 2010, 23:16
Just remembered. With some of the 18F's, 4320 in particular, I had to place a 10uF cap near the ZIFF.

Wellton is between the Yuma Proving Grounds and the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range.
A sunny 115 here today ;)

l_gaminde
- 19th August 2010, 02:44
Kinda sounds like Walton is between a rock and a hard spot it was only 99, 100 here today hope it stays that way this is the coldest summer ever around here.

mackrackit
- 19th August 2010, 03:08
It has been cooler here than normal also.
Gotta love this global warming thing ;)