PDA

View Full Version : What starting salary can I expect as an Electrical Engineer (Master) in the UK?

Fungs12
- 4th August 2010, 11:07
I hope someone in this forum can help me with my question.

I am currently finishing off a placement with an English company and was asked to work for them after finishing my Master thesis in Germany (I am German). The area I would work in is Embedded Software and Hardware Design in the automotive industry. It is a small company but growing strongly. In the area of Germany where I come from I could expect a starting salary of around 35.000 GBP.

I will soon have a meeting with my bosses about the contractual things and I would like to know what I can ask for.

Thanks for your help.

Fungs12
- 17th August 2010, 15:54
Nobody? :(

malc-c
- 18th August 2010, 09:20
No expert, but if you could get £35K in Germany doing the same job then use that as your starting point. However as the company is small, and the UK is still picking up things after the resession then it might be worth considering whatever they offer. Earning £25K is better than having no job at all....

rsocor01
- 18th August 2010, 13:49
Fungs12,

I don't know about UK, but here in the States an EE with a master degree should be looking at an average of $50,000 at hiring time. I agree with Malc that "Earning £25K is better than having no job at all". The economy is recovering right now, and when you get hired you are pretty much an investment (fresh out of school). They have to train you and point you in the right direction.

Good luck on your search! :)

Robert

Fungs12
- 29th August 2010, 14:53
Of course I wouldn't reject a job with 25000 GBP if there was nothing else for me. But of course I don't want to ask for the very minimum salary.

I just wanted to know what the usual salary is. Thank you!