PDA

View Full Version : Timing Diagram software suggestions?

PickyBiker
- 10th April 2010, 20:43
My little flight controller project has exceeded the complexity that I can keep in my head. I need something to draw timing diagrams that doesn't cost a fortune. I have tried using MS Project, but it's way too tedious for that. I downloaded a couple free trial that were very limited and expensive to purchase.

I need to be able to draw something like this:

clock ---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___
Signal 1 -------------______----------___----------------
Signal 2 ______------______------______------______----

Etc. etc. etc

Anybody using something that will work for this?

Thanks,

PickyBiker

Charles Linquis
- 10th April 2010, 21:37
Something that is very crude, but works for certain things, and is fast to make and document -

Excel. Use the "border" function to highlight the waveform.

PickyBiker
- 11th April 2010, 00:16
You mean like this?

Thanks!

Charles Linquis
- 11th April 2010, 00:19
Did you have this done already, or did my suggestion really help?

PickyBiker
- 11th April 2010, 00:41
Did you have this done already, or did my suggestion really help?

As soon as I saw your post, I made it in Excel. It was sooo easy. Thanks for the tip :cool:

SynergyFactor
- 11th April 2010, 01:36
Another option I had just run across is using the Xwave truetype font. It is a fixed character size font that allows you create timing diagrams in a word processor (or excel for that matter).

Doug

PickyBiker
- 11th April 2010, 06:11
Thanks for the additional info.

Excel method was just too easy and did what I needed in just a few minutes. All I did was to do a brain dump into the spreadsheet. As soon as I did that, I saw the problem that I was currently chasing. Nothing beats a visual view of what's going on.

Thanks all and don't forget to keep the rubber side down, or if you prefer, the shinny side up.