PDA

View Full Version : Lost Communications?

fowardbias
- 17th February 2010, 15:48
Everytime I call for a compile and program the programmer comes on (programming window) and when the program icon is clicked a lost communications screen comes up. I click program again and everything works OK? Anyone else running into this?. Using PBP 2.6 and programming SW.Vr.4.31 (USB programmer). Again this only happens on the first call for programming. Thanks, RC

Archangel
- 17th February 2010, 16:03
Everytime I call for a compile and program the programmer comes on (programming window) and when the program icon is clicked a lost communications screen comes up. I click program again and everything works OK? Anyone else running into this?. Using PBP 2.6 and programming SW.Vr.4.31 (USB programmer). Again this only happens on the first call for programming. Thanks, RCHello Forwardbias,
Not familiar with your programmer BUT the PICKit2 is a USB programmer, and you do not use compile and program, only the compile button and it automatically reloads the hex and programs. BTW it also loses communication if an anomaly (short) occurs on it's load side.

Dennis
- 17th February 2010, 23:13
Hi Forwardbias

I initially had some weird issues when programming .. can't remember exactly what they were, but the problem was because I had made a long cable to connect the PIC programming pins to a pin header to the PICKIT2. As it turns out the cable was too long and was causing some really weird issues. The solution was to to make the connections(cable) from the pin header to the PICKIT2 as short as possible, I ended up connecting the PICKIT2 directly to the pin header on the breadboard.
Something like this:
Original
PIC-----------Pin Header<--------------------cable------------->PICKIT2
Solution
PIC -----------Pin Header<PICKIT2

Hope that helps

Dennis

fowardbias
- 17th February 2010, 23:46
I am using the MeLabs USB programmer for this instance. I have used a home made interface cable (probably a bit long and unshielded) with the PK2 using ICSP with the 16F628A and 877A, no problems.

Bruce
- 18th February 2010, 00:43
Not all programmers have the same driver capabilities. A really quick way to sort that out as
the problem would be to make a shorter cable. If the problem goes away, you'll know it
was due to the longer length ICSP cable.

fowardbias
- 18th February 2010, 17:44
The USB programmer is being used with the 40 pin adapter (ZIF thru the 10 pin header, all factory Melabs hardware) directly to the 877A. Not using ICSP here. After programming the chip is moved to the test circuit. I am using the PK2 using ICSP thru MPLAB only. I use the MCS for the melabs projects. Still doubling clicking here? no big deal. RC

fowardbias
- 24th February 2010, 17:25
For those that run into a lost communications drop down window once in awhile when calling for a compile and program. This started out as a 50% fail to program to a 100% fail. I had been running the and programmer through a powered and fully loaded 7 port USB hub. I pulled the USB programming cable from the hub port and went directly to a USB port on the laptop. Now no problems. I don't know if cable lengths or loading or ?, anyway problem gone.