PDA

View Full Version : lost programs/programs rolled back

Chris Barron
- 9th February 2010, 15:06
I closed PBP2.6 lastnight.

I've opened up PBP this morning and found that the code I was working on has reverted back to a version which is at least 1 week old, in effect losing all of my work of the past week.

What I'm wondering is if there is a vault/filestore/temp directory which holds PBP files prior to their compilation ?

Chris

Chris Barron
- 9th February 2010, 15:28
.....Just noticed that the hard drive I store my files on has only 90MB of free space..... I think this may be self inflicted. duh !

Acetronics2
- 9th February 2010, 15:29
Hi, Chris

I suppose you're a MCS afficionado ???

Halas, MCS do not show any " autosave " feature in the menus ...

BUT MCS AND MPLAB ask you if you want to save source ... when any mod detected ...

Did you miss that message, last week ???

I think you'll have to remember what you did ... and what was good.

Alain

PS: the HD free room do not change anything ... ( speed, may be ??? )

Chris Barron
- 9th February 2010, 16:07
Hi, Chris

BUT MCS AND MPLAB ask you if you want to save source ... when any mod detected ...

Did you miss that message, last week ???

I think you'll have to remember what you did ... and what was good.

Alain

PS: the HD free room do not change anything ... ( speed, may be ??? )

Thanks Alain.
The scenario is that about 8 days ago I modified the code, and then I have worked on it every day since then. I save, compile and test the code. Each modification I make I flash straight to a pic and test it, so the source code is being saved without fail.

This morning the only code I have available to open , with the same name and in the same directory on the same disk is one from before 8 days ago, and because of the large number of modifications I have been making this week it must have been saved over 100 times.

Chris Barron
- 9th February 2010, 16:22
Okay I have it sorted out now...

The most recent file I was using last night was saved without an extension. The pc was closing during a crash and thats when the trouble started I think.

I have just restored it with a PBP extension and have all my work again.
Yeah that was close. I think I'll do another backup now !

Acetronics2
- 9th February 2010, 16:33
Chris...

Each new save or compile you make OVERWRITE the previous version of your file ...

let's suppose you lost one ... you Must find the N-1 version. Right ???

NOT the N - 100 one !!!

I'd recommend you to check your HD for similar file names ... ( missed a " " character in the name or saved the file to another folder ...)

Your file hasn't disappeared ...

I just did the test : Save 2 files with the same name into 2 different folders ...

MCS can open both @ the same time without any way for you to recognize which is which ...

Just launch a Window SEARCH over your whole HD ( 90 MB will be kickly searched ...)

Alain

Acetronics2
- 9th February 2010, 16:38
Chris ...

reading your lasts posts ... your PC adventures really are tremendous ...

I begin to understand why Dave wrote " Wear safety glasses when programming " in his signature. LOL

Try to work with a little more care ... you can't imagine the time you will spare.

Alain

Archangel
- 9th February 2010, 16:47
.....Just noticed that the hard drive I store my files on has only 90MB of free space..... I think this may be self inflicted. duh !Hi Chris,
A word of caution, some viruses are known to replicate existing files and directories repeatedly until it fills your hard drive and locks up the computer.

Chris Barron
- 9th February 2010, 16:50
Chris...

Just launch a Window SEARCH over your whole HD ( 90 MB will be kickly searched ...)

Alain

Alain, thanks for the patronising attitude, but you have fallen short of explaining what the problem was.
FYI the first thing I did was to check for duplicates with the Search function. None were found. Because I have 4 hard drives I decided to narrow down the search scope by adding the .pbp extension to my file name and understandably the file with no extension was not found this way.

Trust me, there was great care applied, this is an important project I have spent months over. The behaviour was totally unexpected, and is most likely a consequence of the crash I already told you about.

Your behaviour , on the other hand, was pretty predictable, and probably you should take more care ;-)

Chris Barron
- 9th February 2010, 17:09
Hi Chris,
A word of caution, some viruses are known to replicate existing files and directories repeatedly until it fills your hard drive and locks up the computer.

Good point Joe.

Up to date virus checkers live here so that should be a thing of the past

Archangel
- 10th February 2010, 00:22
Good point Joe.

Up to date virus checkers live here so that should be a thing of the pastVirus checkers are like hiring the Mafia to protect you. I just uninstalled Norton this morning. Phoey !
I kinda like stinger.exe as it does not stay resident in memory, it's free too.