PDA

View Full Version : "Ripe tomato" question

RussMartin
- 26th January 2010, 07:02
While I appreciate the effort to reduce/eliminate problems by asking qualifying questions to make posts, I may be the only person on the forum who had to actually stop and think when faced with the question, "What color is a ripe tomato?"

I grow tomatoes--a <u>lot</u> of tomatoes!--and I have varieties that are red, pink, yellow, orange, purple, and white (ivory). The apparent color of a tomato depends on the skin color, translucence of the skin, and the color of the flesh underneath.

Byte_Butcher
- 26th January 2010, 16:13
I've noticed that "yellow" is accepted as a valid answer for the tomato color question. :)

green doesn't work though...

steve

Melanie
- 26th January 2010, 19:07
Well, rather than trying to detect what is 'ripe' since there are so many varieties, why not detect what is NOT ripe (ie shades of Green - illuminated with a Green LED and viewed through a Green Filter). Therefore if it is NOT NOT ripe, then it must be ripe! Reverse logic... I'll PM you the address for the commission cheque... I'll split it with Steve since his post gave me the idea.

Acetronics2
- 26th January 2010, 19:23
mmmhhh,

I wonder which will be the tomatoes colours Russ will receive if his electronics "tribune" readers look at the posts he placed here ...

just smiling while I imagine such a scene ...

Alain.

mackrackit
- 26th January 2010, 23:03
Well, rather than trying to detect what is 'ripe' since there are so many varieties, why not detect what is NOT ripe (ie shades of Green - illuminated with a Green LED and viewed through a Green Filter). Therefore if it is NOT NOT ripe, then it must be ripe! Reverse logic... I'll PM you the address for the commission cheque... I'll split it with Steve since his post gave me the idea.

But there are several types of tomatoes that are green in color when ripe.
So even reverse logic will not work :)

ScaleRobotics
- 26th January 2010, 23:20
The electric tomatoes are always red when ripe .... :D

http://imet.csus.edu/imet1/antares/folio/Teaching_Units/echem/elec_15.jpg

Melanie
- 26th January 2010, 23:42
Don't complicate things... Russ didn't say he grew the green variety!

Bruce
- 26th January 2010, 23:43
Or .. maybe .. peeeww .. man that's ripe. I.E. stinks to high heaven, and totally rotten?

Could be a black tamater...;o)

mackrackit
- 26th January 2010, 23:50
Or.....
Tomatoe Logic

Red = output high
Green = output low
Yellow = input

the Tri-State tomatoe....

Bruce
- 27th January 2010, 00:04
the Tri-State tomatoe....
What exactly is a tri-state tomatoe? Is it a tomato grown in the New York Tri-State area....:)

sayzer
- 28th January 2010, 14:17
— Tomato Color Coordinates —
Hex triplet #FF6347
RGBB (r, g, b) (255, 99, 71)
HSV (h, s, v) (15°, 75%, 50%)
Source X11
B: Normalized to [0–255] (byte)

:)

------------------------------

grounded
- 29th January 2010, 01:30
Were I'm from a "mader" is ripe when red but still firm
but we do eat them fried when still green :)