PDA

View Full Version : Success! Are they 'words' or are they 'bytes'?

BitHead
- 26th December 2009, 00:05
PIC16F506 (1K code space)
Odd thing - Results window says 'Success : 870 words used. The '.lst' files says 'Program Memory Words Used - 870' with 154 free, yet the MPASM is generating a lot of 'error[126] arg. out of range' errors. My prerequisite forum searches revealed the term "bytes used" here and there. The Error[126]'s in pbppic12.lib and Warning[200]'s in the '.mac' make sense if WORDs are 2 bytes, but the list output shows a memory map with free space - as though they are BYTEs.

ALSO... another odd thing. I removed all the extraneous verbose comments and unused labels, just to make it easier to read now that I 'know' my program, and the compile did NOT show 'Success', just the 'Assembler errors'. Memory used was the same - 870 (out of 1024).

Can anyone clue me in?
Which program is telling me 'Success' in the results window?
If it's MPASM, then are those the word/bytes used NOT INCLUDING the code that wouldn't fit? Just looking for a little clarification.
Thanks in advance.

Acetronics2
- 27th December 2009, 13:14
Hi,

The good question is to see the word length ...

program space is 1 K Words, Ok ... but those words are ?? bits wide ...

Good question eh ???

But without seeing what you wrote ... how do you want us to help you more ???

Alain

electroken
- 27th December 2009, 14:45
> Another compiler I used to use, told the total program amount of bytes used, and how much variable ram memory was used, too bad PBP does not. Like you said, what is a "word"? Is it a memory term?

mackrackit
- 27th December 2009, 16:54
You need to look at the data sheet to see if the word is 14 or 16 bits.
PBP does tell you all of the info. It is in the LST file.

But I agree. It is sometimes difficult comparing one PIC to another.