PDA

View Full Version : Control a Linux PC?

Michael
- 27th July 2009, 17:11
I've been playing with Ubuntu for the first time past few days -- a real blast.

It occured to me this morning that it would seem quite possible to actually control a Linux PC with the incredible variety of terminal commands it has available?

You can actually control the processes of applications it looks like -- not just "run" them.

Am I thinking right here?

If you can have the Linux terminal program always open in the background, then you could somehow interface your commands (rs232?) to the PC you like and presto?

Possible?

ChrisHelvey
- 28th July 2009, 02:37
I see no reason why this couldn't be done. I would guess someone has already done it. Just plain serial communication really. Your PIC is just a screenless terminal.

In fact, if you have the getty activated on the PC serial port (login prompt,) you could conceivably have the PIC enter in the username and password for the console automatically and do things entirely in the background. You just need to conform to the telnet protocol and either turn echos off or understand everything that will come from the PC serial port. (Like send a <CR> and expect to see " Login: " )

It could also be done in Windows or MacOSX. With additional free add-ons, you can make windows commands to do just about anything Linux can do. Like:
Find running processes and kill them.
Start new processes,
etc, etc.

Good luck,

Chris

ChrisHelvey
- 28th July 2009, 02:39
The post took out the "Carriage Return" after "a"...

sorry