PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Speedo Meter

Ivan Cory
- 11th May 2009, 22:25
Hi every one

Does any one have basic code on a speedo meter for a bicycle?
I am new to pic's and picbasic, though I did play around with it and got my 2x16 LCD working. Recording the distance is also not a ploblem but determine the speed and setting up the pic timer is where I struggle?
Can any one help please.

Best regards
Ivan

mister_e
- 11th May 2009, 22:30
Hi and welcome aboard ;)

Knowing the "frequency range" and the PIC you're going to use would help. However in some circumstance, PBP COUNT command could do the job.

You could do a search for Frequency Counter or simply Counter with the forum search tool. Sure enough there's a load of tips and example here that might help you.

Ivan Cory
- 12th May 2009, 21:25
I am using a pic 16F628 with a 4Mhz resonator / or internal 4mhz clock (not sure how accurate this is).
I will use two wheel pickups sensors (reed switch or hall effect) thus with a wheel circumference of 2 m, each sensor trigger at 1 meter distance travelled.

tenaja
- 12th May 2009, 22:20
The last bike speedo I bought was $10. Unless your goal is learning and experience, this is a waste of time.

Archangel
- 13th May 2009, 01:50
Hi and welcome aboard ;)

Knowing the "frequency range" and the PIC you're going to use would help. However in some circumstance, PBP COUNT command could do the job.

You could do a search for Frequency Counter or simply Counter with the forum search tool. Sure enough there's a load of tips and example here that might help you.
I used it (count) for a tachometer and it was fast enough. http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9037
Alter the math a bit, based upon the wheel diameter and you have it. this is set up for an LED display, LCD would use less code.