PDA

View Full Version : Communicating between two PICs over DC bus

elec_mech
- 6th May 2009, 21:34
Hello all,

I've been asked to look for a way to communicate between two or more PICs, tentatively 18F series, over the DC power bus which is 9V. We have used TDA5051A modems to interface and commicate over the bus successfully, but like so many electronics applications these days, they want it smaller so the thought is to eliminate the modem and, through software, have the PICs perform as modems in addition to simple I/O. I've been searching Microchip and this forum for hours with no luck. I've come across many standalone modems and some methods for communicating over AC power lines, but nothing for the (9V) DC bus powering the PICs (after being dropped down with a DC/DC converter of course).

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

BobK
- 6th May 2009, 22:22
Hi Tony,

I collect alot of information that has been posted here and other places. I have attached a file that has a schematic for what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure Ms. Melanie has posted several times on this subject also.

Let me know if this helps.

BobK

I did some further searching and found more for you. http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2806&highlight=Data+power. Melanie's drawing and comments are there along with other comments on the subject.

Good luck!

BobK

elec_mech
- 7th May 2009, 12:57
BobK,

Thank you so very much for the schematic and link. I went through over 100 posts on a search for modem, but there are many ways to phrase the same question. I will look these over - the schematic alone gives me a great starting place and I think the link, at a glance, is just what I need. Thanks again!

-Tony