PDA

View Full Version : 16F877A Pullups/Pulldowns and unused pins

DavyJones
- 14th April 2009, 19:00
I've gotten some good advice so far about tieing unused pins to ground. I have another question concerning that and would appreciate the advice. If I enable the pullups on port b so I can use some of those, not all, pins as switches what do others normally do with those unused pins? Do you do the same and tie those to ground with a 10k resistor or do you leave those float considering the internal pullups are enabled?
Thanks
David

mister_e
- 14th April 2009, 22:39
I never trust pull-up at all. Those are kinda good when you apply power on your board, but what happen when you power it down?

WOOHOO, you got it, they're gone, so you input are there, taking a beer or twelve waiting for the next incoming sparks to blow you chip.

I know I will make friends with that one :rolleyes:

DavyJones
- 14th April 2009, 22:48
I never trust pull-up at all. Those are kinda good when you apply power on your board, but what happen when you power it down?

WOOHOO, you got it, they're gone, so you input are there, taking a beer or twelve waiting for the next incoming sparks to blow you chip.

I know I will make friends with that one :rolleyes:

Mister E, Thanks but I am not sure I understand what you mean. If I am going to use the RB0, RB0 and RB1 as simple N.O. Pushbuttons if I power down my board there will be nothing there. If no power the PB isn't going to do anything right?
Thanks
David

mister_e
- 14th April 2009, 23:15
Think about it, in the worst case scenario... If this was true, ESD bags, wrist, mat, handling and such wouldn't exist either.

Now how crazy you have to come to avoid ESD discharge? Well it's up to you. For me, it's never to much.

If you have a pull-up/pull down... you provide a return path somewhere all the time.

DavyJones
- 15th April 2009, 01:18
Think about it, in the worst case scenario... If this was true, ESD bags, wrist, mat, handling and such wouldn't exist either.

Now how crazy you have to come to avoid ESD discharge? Well it's up to you. For me, it's never to much.

If you have a pull-up/pull down... you provide a return path somewhere all the time.

Ok, let me rephrase my question. What is likely to happen if I enable the internal pullups and at the same time tie the pins to ground? Is this creating a short that could cause the PIC or other components to overheat or burn out?

Thanks
David

mister_e
- 15th April 2009, 03:34
Ha, I see. There will have no problem then.

boroko
- 17th April 2009, 01:39
I can't find it quickly, but the Weak Pull-Up in in the neighborhood of microAmps. If you apply any harder signal, you just over-ride the WPU.

Just enough to keep the pin stable without any outside influence.

Bo