PDA

View Full Version : RS485 Vs Wireless (TWS-434A)

koossa
- 8th April 2009, 11:53
Good day Picers!

I'm planning, for a couple of years now, on a project that I need to do communication from about 5 "clients" to 1 "base station".
The clients would be between 10 and 30 meters apart.

I have two possible options for communication between the devices :

My 1st option is RS485 using 4 wires to each client (2 for power, 2 for data).
Will I be able to run the power and data cables in one cable unit (the same housing).
The cable installation of the RS485 and mobility of the units would be a negative point.

My 2nd option is wireless.
TWS-434A and RWS-434 wireless modules from rentron.com
Each client will run on rechargeable battery power and send data via wireless to the base station.
Noise, reliability, complexity and cost would be a negative point.

What would be the ideal option and what other implications will there be that I have missed?

Thank you!

mister_e
- 8th April 2009, 15:15
At least for the reasons you stated, and for such small distance, I tend to stay away of any RF when at all possible. So my suggestion would be to go to RS485 networking, but it's me.

I agree, the wiring might be a pain, but oh joy for the reliability (assuming there's no chance that any handyman drill a hole or insert a nail in your wire) and ease of coding it :D

Jerson
- 8th April 2009, 15:59
I have worked on stuff like this using both the type of transmitter and receiver you have suggested and other transciever modules. This much I can say, RS485 is a breeze. Going RF is messy till you get it working. After that, it's a breeze. RF needs confirmations built into your protocol to make sure the message 'gets there'.

koossa
- 11th April 2009, 12:40
Thanks a lot, I will then go for the RS485