PDA

View Full Version : Using a PIC to send email

schlaray
- 3rd April 2009, 14:42
Could a PIC be configured to send an email? What I want to do is close a set of contacts and then send a predetermined message to a remote location. Both locations have internet service. I know the PIC can be used to generate dial tones but after that "Handshakes" are exchanged with the internet provider etc.

Does anyone have any ideas how this may be accomplished?
R.W.S.

Christopher4187
- 3rd April 2009, 18:27
Does anyone have any ideas how this may be accomplished?
R.W.S. Check out the PINK module:http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/pink/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/40/Default.aspx

I've used it with a 16F876 and it works well. However, my firmware needs to be upgraded to send E-mails so I haven't done that yet. I know that people have successfully sent E-mails so it shouldn't be a problem. The software is such that it's easy to use and I would consider my ability just above a beginner so if I can do it, just about anybody can.

schlaray
- 3rd April 2009, 23:05
Thank you for the information. It looks like the Pink Module will do the job.

What I have in mind is to build an alarm system that will notify me of any abnormal condition when I am away from home. Idealy, it would identify say 8 zones. I could then call a neighbor to check it out.

There is a commercially available device called a "Freeze Alarm" that will dial numbers and leave a voice message on your answering machine. I think I could build a system for less money and have it do what I want.

Thanks again for the direction.
R.W.S.

Normnet
- 3rd April 2009, 23:39
Haven't tried but the Intel Atom processor Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Motherboard+/+CPU+/+VGA+Sets-_-Intel-_-13121342)
with a Delphi or VB windows application to receive RS232 and email program would almost be cheaper.

Norm

dhouston
- 4th April 2009, 01:05
Don't waste your money on the Parallax module. Look at ConnectOne's Nano LANReach which does email and many, many more things out of the box and costs 1/3 as much.

http://www.connectone.com/products.asp?did=73&pid=93

schlaray
- 4th April 2009, 02:27
It has been a very educational day Normnet. I didn't know Intel made such a board.

This will give me plenty to investigate. Thanks for the information.

Schlaray.

Normnet
- 4th April 2009, 05:08
This could be the future for PC's at least as a 2nd non intensive application PC.
(Not games, photo or movie editing).

Add a solid state HD or a compact disk for speed and compactness.

Norm

dhouston
- 4th April 2009, 11:22
Add a solid state HD or a compact disk for speed and compactness.By the time you add storage and memory (not included) and some type of interface to the eight alarm zones it starts getting a bit less attractive.

$38 for the Nano LANReach plus a PIC seems a better fit for the application.

Normnet
- 4th April 2009, 12:49
I don't see any reference to email capability at the Nano LANReach site.

Norm

Normnet
- 4th April 2009, 13:01
I see the email in the Programmer’s Manual now.
Not bad.

How is the web security?
Would this have the level of security one could add to a company Lan?

Norm

dhouston
- 4th April 2009, 15:47
Nano LANReach Internet Protocols:
• ARP, ICMP, IP, UDP, TCP, DHCP, DNS, NTP, SMTP, POP3, MIME, HTTP, FTP and TELNET
• Security protocols: SSL3/TLS1, HTTPS, FTPS, RSA, AES-128/256, 3DES, RC-4, SHA-1, MD-5
• Protocols accelerated in hardware: AES, 3DES and SHA

I'm not a security expert but those specs look good.

It has a web server (current versions are 64KB, later versions will be bigger).

It can be configured to check a Network Time Sever at power-up and every four hours thereafter.

It's easy to program, using a variant on AT commands.

All in all it exceeds my fondest hopes for an embedded ethernet interface. The low price may due to the current high value of the dollar. It's available from Mouser and others.

dhouston
- 4th April 2009, 15:59
It can be configured to check a Network Time Sever at power-up and every four hours thereafter.There was no Edit button so...

That should read Network Time SERVER. It maintains an internal RTC between network syncs.

YMMV but I got excellent responses from the tech who answered my emails. I have a home automation device that was designed to use the Tibbo EM202 which was discontinued without notice about 9 months ago. I'm waiting for some adapter boards I designed to handle the 5V to 3.3V conversions. Once I have those and can test it I'll be able to say more as well as salvage my inventory of partially assembled devices..

dhouston
- 4th April 2009, 16:11
I should also mention another ethernet module that does email (SMTP) and is very reasonably priced for a wireless module. http://www.ewiznet.com/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=135It's so new that the documentation is not fully released so I'm not sure how easilly (or not) it can be programmed. I have one but will not have time to test it for a couple of months.