PDA

View Full Version : Reliable RS232 Wireless

koossa
- 31st March 2009, 14:13
Good day

I know that this type of question has been asked many times before.

But is there any RELIABLE RS232 wireless communication modules available for under $20?
Or any RELIABLE communication modules that easily interface with a PIC?

I have played with wireless comms before, but it is not very reliable.
I only want to send 1 byte at a 20 meter distance and don't have a problem of sending it 5 times to make sure it has reached the other end.

Thank you very much!

timmers
- 31st March 2009, 19:04
Hi,

To be honest, you gets what you pays.
Anything under $20 will need software "improvement" to bring it upto the standard of a $100 unit.

If you have the time and inclination then the $20 route is fine. We send our data at 4800 baud over a 20kb link to ensure it gets there. Beware with serin2 and scratchy wireless, as it will hang the programme if you use the (wait) modifier.

Good luck.
Tim.

koossa
- 31st March 2009, 19:36
Hi Tim

Thank you for your reply.

The software is not an issue for me, if I can only get reliable hardware.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you
Koossa

mackrackit
- 31st March 2009, 19:44
The linx modules Bruce has are very good.
http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/RemoteControl.htm

languer
- 1st April 2009, 00:48
The modules will have some effect on your performance; but this is only as far as range, rejection to strong interferers, and the like. You have to step up in price quite a bit to get modules which really make a great deal of difference (i.e. pre-selectors, LNAs, XTAL filters, or zero-IF sampling). But modulation characteristics does play some role on performance.

AM/ASK modules are always at the lower end of the perfomance spectrum due to their susceptibility to noise.
FM/FSK modules are less susceptible noise
PM/PSK modules are usually even better

For most applications which I have seen here the bulk of the improvement comes from the protocol used. The better the protocol the better the performance (i.e. reliability and quality of the link). Some modules have built-in protocols, some not.

koossa
- 2nd April 2009, 09:48
Thank you very much, I will checkout the links mackrackit and languer thank you for the info!