PDA

View Full Version : Audio sounds

Christopher4187
- 30th March 2009, 14:13
Hi,

I'm making a toy and I need at least four different sounds. I looked at a piezo buzzer and they are expensive to put four on the board. I'm not using a PIC so I don't have the option of doing software routines. My thought at this point is to use a 555 with one piezo buzzer to try and make different sounds by adjusting the timing. Is this a good idea? Is there a chip out there that can help me do what I need to do? Maybe get an inexpensive PIC with PWM or DTMF tones? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Acetronics2
- 30th March 2009, 14:54
Hi,

Have a look to HT 2810/2813/2830/2844 or ISD 14xx or 25xx chips ...

Alain

Christopher4187
- 1st April 2009, 13:48
Ok, so I got an op-amp and tried it. It pretty much worked like crap. I re-checked all of my connections and they looked good but still nothing.

So, I took out a 16F676 and when I use the "freqout" command along with a 20MhZ resonator, it worked really good. Then I fed the output to a PNP transistor and it was even louder so I think I will most likely use that approach.

Here is my dilemma. I took a speaker from one of those Motorola talkabout FRS radios. I want to buy about 10 of those speakers but there are no markings on it. Does anyone know what kind of speaker I should look for? 4ohm, 8ohm....frequency range....power rating?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris

mister_e
- 1st April 2009, 16:13
I don't think those Motorola ones are fancy, so probably anything in a local overstock place would do.

Normnet
- 1st April 2009, 17:59
If you are using a PIC see PIC iPod wav player (http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10662)

CD mono quality of wav files for voice or sound.
May be more than you require though.

Other compiler.

Norm

Christopher4187
- 1st April 2009, 21:30
May be more than you require though.
Norm Yeah, it's much more then I need and way above my level of expertise. However, I may be able to use that audio chip and I will check it out to see how it works. Also, your speaker (LS1), do you have a part number for that?

Thanks,

Chris

Normnet
- 1st April 2009, 23:48
I may be able to use that audio chip and I will check it out to see how it works.
I think mister_e also once recommended an audio amp but I didn't catch it at the time.
Defiantly better than the LM386.

speaker (LS1), do you have a part number for that?
No part number.
Mainly separate front from back with either an enclosure or a front panel.
I used car speakers for quality but any speaker will output sound.

Someday I will post a basic version of PIC iPod wav player (http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10662).

Norm