PDA

View Full Version : 18F8720 bootloader error

cjsanders
- 6th January 2005, 06:54
I've got an 18F8720 that is having a problem downloading programs using the bootloader from Microcode studio. The error I receive is: "A problem occured trying to write to the following program location ---Address $000000

What can be done to correct this? Is there any way to tell the bootloader to start at address $000001?

Any help is appreciated

mister_e
- 7th January 2005, 17:56
Is your device is totally blank ?

cjsanders
- 7th January 2005, 18:27
No the device is not completely blank, it has the bootloader for the 18f8720 from microcode studio programmed.

mister_e
- 7th January 2005, 18:35
Actually i can't help on that issue but, try those e-mail

[email protected]
[email protected]

Tim B
- 7th January 2005, 19:25
Did you have the Flash program write enabled when you programmed in the bootloader?

cjsanders
- 7th January 2005, 20:57
Where is this setting? I can't find it in microcode loader or MPASM.

Tim B
- 7th January 2005, 21:13
You will find it in your programer settings.

cjsanders
- 7th January 2005, 21:39
The closest setting I can find in the melabs programmer is
'Low Voltage Programming Enabled/Disabled' could this be it or I am completely lost?

Tim B
- 7th January 2005, 21:56
I use the old Epic programmer and it's there on the line under Low Voltage Programming Enable

With out it set the boot loader cannot write to program space and when it does a check at $0000 after attempting a write it will find nothings changed. And issues the error message

Bruce
- 8th January 2005, 00:55
Config fuse settings are embedded in the boot-loader firmware .HEX file. You just need to make sure the programmer you're using is NOT making any changes to the default config fuse settings before you burn the loader firmware into the target.

I use the MeLabs PICProto80 with the 18F8720 & MicroCode Studio Plus boot-loader. It works fine.

Let me know a few details, and I'm sure we can get you up & running.

Just fill in the blanks after each A:.

1. What device programmer are you using?
A:

2. What version of MicroCode Studio are you using?
A:

3. Are you making any changes to config fuse settings (other than the defaults in the loader firmware) before programming the loader firmware into your 18F8720?
A:

4. Are you including DEFINE LOADER_USED 1 & DEFINE OSC in the beginning of your code?
A:

cjsanders
- 10th January 2005, 06:00
1. What device programmer are you using?
A1:meLabs Programmer v3.1 for the bootloader
A2: Microcode Loader for actual Programs v2.0.0.1

2. What version of MicroCode Studio are you using?
A:2.1.0.8

3. Are you making any changes to config fuse settings (other than the defaults in the loader firmware) before programming the loader firmware into your 18F8720?
A:No

4. Are you including DEFINE LOADER_USED 1 & DEFINE OSC in the beginning of your code?
A:Yes

Where is this "Flash program write enabled" setting in microcode loader?

Bruce
- 10th January 2005, 07:29
Just select the 18F8720 from the programmer software drop-down menu, then open the MicroCode loader .HEX file with your MeLabs serial programmer.

Click the C on the programmer software window to view configuration settings embedded in the loader .HEX file. If none of the Code blocks are protected you should be OK.