PDA

View Full Version : PIC18 USB Programmer

r0nd0m
- 22nd February 2009, 23:46
Hi there ppl.

Im here wondering if could I design my own PIC18 usb programmer. I chose this PIC cause it already has the usb hardware on it so its gonna be easier to assembly the parts.

But as Im kinda noob, I want you guys to tell if am I wrong or not on this:

If Im gonna create a new programmer board from scratch but I dont wanna create a software also, I need to make the board compatible to known programming softwares (Icprog, to me). But how can I know if my board will be compatible to the programing software logic? (Or theres no way to create a totally new board, and we can just modificate the existing ones ?)

So my question is: What are the patterns used to create a programmer? Is there a specific "check-list" or I just need to worry about making my hardware to work? (I dunno if you guys could understand me, I meant as following the usb specifications, filtering noises, ending transmission lines correctly, powering correctly, etc..)

Thank you, guys.
Cya!

mister_e
- 23rd February 2009, 15:59
With latest PIC programmer pricing, it just doesn't worth to create it. However, PICKIT 2 is a kind of open source (at least 100% on the PC end), they give the bootloader .HEX and the related schematic, so you could build it yourself... but I don't believe you'll beat the already assembled pricing (~40USD$).

Look at Bluerooms electronics JuneBug, which is a PICKIT 2 + nifty development board.
http://www.blueroomelectronics.com/Junebug.htm

There's also load of clone available, but the pricing is not that much under a Genuine Microchip one, and some have their own issue.. as per we see on some forum here and there.