PDA

View Full Version : ADCIN Sampleus time question

LinkMTech
- 17th February 2009, 07:42
Hi all,
I searched for info pertaining to using longer Sampleus times as a feature, but nada.
I'm using the ADCIN function to monitor a gear position sensor that has five resistor selections. I had to use a 10uF cap to smooth out the switching transitions that jump to 5V for about a millisec.
My circuit is working fine but still wondered if there are any advantages to setting the sampleus time to 1000 for instance since I'm fat on time, 60ms of do nothing time to do something before something needs to be done.
Or will I just be wasting uS?

Thanks...

mister_e
- 17th February 2009, 16:32
I guess it depend at least of how neat the signal is, then you add the analog source impedance in the calc. As you have a 10uF cap, which seems to be overkill, you shouldn't have any kind of problem depending what's before the capacitor. Some opamp will begin to oscillate with capacitive load.

usually 20-50uSec works pretty well with cap ~0.1uF range.

LinkMTech
- 17th February 2009, 18:28
Hi Steve,
I agree, the 10uF is overkill and mostly experimental. So I get the feeling from what I do understand about the A/D function is that once the sample is made and converted, any more sampleus time is just that, non producing hang time.
Then all I really need to consider is the calculated time it will take to allow the conversion to complete based on the circuit's impedance and your cool PIC multi calculator and go on with life.
Thanks for sharing that tool, by the way!