PDA

View Full Version : Possible to rebuild digital servo?

mcRobert
- 10th February 2009, 07:55
Hi all!

I have rebuilt a analog servo to do a continuous rotation.
Now i need some servos to a robot project and have found a cheap servo at hobbycity.com. The servos i would like to use are the HXT12K servos, but they are stated as digital.
Is it possible to rebuild a digital servo the same way as a analog?

Acetronics2
- 10th February 2009, 10:04
Hi, Robert

Your question is somewhat fuzzy ...

Yes, You can change "digital" ( lol ) servo electronics for an analogic "old" one.

Yes you can find some DIY digital electronics on the Web ... but it doesn't seem to be what you intend to do ...

But you won't get any advantage in such rebuilt ... a "HongKong" servo always will stay " no so good " ...
And it' somewhat funny to adjust the amplifier parameters to the mechanics !!!

Have fun

Alain

mcRobert
- 10th February 2009, 11:55
Hi, Robert

Your question is somewhat fuzzy ...

Yes, You can change "digital" ( lol ) servo electronics for an analogic "old" one.

Yes you can find some DIY digital electronics on the Web ... but it doesn't seem to be what you intend to do ...

But you won't get any advantage in such rebuilt ... a "HongKong" servo always will stay " no so good " ...
And it' somewhat funny to adjust the amplifier parameters to the mechanics !!!

Have fun

Alain

Tank you for the reply!
I try to clarify.
I want to rebuild a digital servo so that it can turn 360 degrees (not make it analog :) ) , rotate continuously that is. The servo that i already rebuilt was a "analog" type. The procedure to make it spin was to remove a pot and repalce it with two resistors and also a gear had to be modified.
My question is if a "digital" type servo can be rebuilt in the same way? Does it also use a pot to "read" its current position?

Acetronics2
- 10th February 2009, 12:23
Ok, I see

At first sight, no difference for the conversion. "Digital" servos only have digital electronics ... to the day.
Always the good ol' position pot.

Just think if the signal passes the "Digital" limits ... rotation will stop !!!

Alain

=DeaD=
- 29th September 2009, 08:12
Here is some foto's:

http://roboforum.ru/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6700

I can translate text to english (my poor english :)) if needed.

Acetronics2
- 29th September 2009, 08:26
Nice

Alain

mcRobert
- 30th September 2009, 14:24
Great!

I have one question though about the last picture. Did you just center the pot and cut the "peg"?

=DeaD=
- 1st October 2009, 05:18
No, I was surprised, but there is so much free space in servo, that there is no need to cut "peg", just put it back "not fully".

You may use some intelaying paper, to be sure, that "peg" would not come out in future :)

(sorry about my poor english :rolleyes:)

mcRobert
- 2nd October 2009, 07:16
Thank you very much for the info!
Now all i have to do is build a robot! :)