PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player Remote Control

koossa
- 27th December 2008, 06:32
Good day

Is it possible to design a DVD Player Remote control that will work on any DVD Player?

Thank you
Koossa

b1arrk5
- 28th December 2008, 00:54
Koosa,
Anything is possible, but it would be a lot of work. Almost every manufacturer uses different encoding, and while some of them are easy to find, you would have to do a lot of testing to get all of them.
I have a few of Bruce's decoder chips, (Rentron Electronics,) that work great with Sony remotes, his website has a lot of information to get you started.

Good Luck!

Jerry

koossa
- 28th December 2008, 04:52
Thank you very much Jerry!!

Nicmus
- 31st December 2008, 14:01
Hi Coossa,

To get a PIC device to generate the control codes for multiple brands DVDs you first need to know the necessary codes. The best way to get them will be if you have your target manufacturers remotes and use them to identify your codes or….

Just to get you started I suggest to get yourself one of the Universal remotes which are quite inexpensive and can, by changing a manufacturer code, control different manufacturers devices (TVs, VCRs, DVDs etc….).
Also you need to setup one of your computer audio inputs with an infrared receiver to record incoming signals from the remote like it has been discussed in this forum (see Dave Huston site at http://davehouston.org/learn.htm for more information).
I used this method few years ago to build a simple ON / OFF TV remote control and it worked really well for me.

Regards,

Nick

koossa
- 1st January 2009, 10:35
Thank you very much Nick!