PDA

View Full Version : Microchip Technology Enhances Mid-range 8-bit PIC(R) Microcontroller Core

Darrel Taylor
- 11th November 2008, 04:55
... today announced an enhancement to the microcontroller (MCU) architecture supporting Mid-range 8-bit PIC12 and PIC16 MCUs. Building upon the success of Microchip's popular Mid-range core, the enhanced core provides numerous technical improvements, including more program and data memory; a deeper/enhanced hardware stack; additional reset methods; 14 additional programming instructions, including "C" efficiency optimizations resulting in code size reductions; increased peripheral support; reduced interrupt latency, and other enhancements. ...

... Additional feature enhancements include increased memory support with program Flash addressability up to 56 KB and Data RAM up to 4 KB. ...

[16 level stack, 32mhz internal OSC, interrupt context registers, 2 FSR's]

... microEngineering Labs' PICBASIC(TM) PRO Compiler is expected to support the enhanced architecture with core-specific command libraries and extended RAM-bank switching. The compiler will include code optimizations to maximize the enhanced core's capabilities, and the meLabs programmers will also support the core. ...

The first devices based upon the enhanced 8-bit Mid-range PIC MCU core are expected to roll out Calendar Q1 2009.

Full story.
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2018&mcparam=en538258

More info.
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2692&redirects=enhanced

dhouston
- 11th November 2008, 11:29
Wow! But, given the state of the world economy I wouldn't bet on it being on schedule.

Ioannis
- 11th November 2008, 12:55
WOW again! I looks like fools day jog... Let's wait and see what happens.

Ioannis

Acetronics2
- 11th November 2008, 13:06
Wow ...

Even " not so good programmers " will look like geniuses, now !!!

seriously speaking ... very interesting enhancements.

Alain

tenaja
- 11th November 2008, 14:58
Looks to me like they've taken an 18F and reduced its capabilities to call it a new & improved 16F. The only thing really new is the 32MHz intosc.

sayzer
- 11th November 2008, 16:10
I think MicroChip has been late for implementing these things.

The technological advancements are ticking faster then time.

mister_e
- 11th November 2008, 16:13
Yes and no, I think they have done too much different family in short term, now they improve their first one... may we call it business strategy? Maybe...