PDA

View Full Version : ISD1700 help !!

lerameur
- 31st October 2008, 00:11
Hi,

I build the stand alone circuit for the ISD1750 Windbond chip. The circuit is pretty straight forward in the datasheet. I also seen a few threads in this forum talking about this chip. I was not been able to fix my problem.
I believe it is recording right, the flashes like it is suppose to. by once play is pushed I hear a buzzing & noise sound. But that is is only when I push, if I let go the button then nothing is heard. I use a similar microphone:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11969-ND
Any Idea how I should go about to trouble shoot this?

ken

RussMartin
- 31st October 2008, 06:25
Okay, let's see what we can figure out.

Is the circuit you used the one shown in Example #1 under the section title TYPICAL APPLICATION CIRCUITS? The most recent data sheet

http://www.nuvoton.com/NR/rdonlyres/5A0170F2-8E3A-489F-B859-6D389D868E9C/0/ISD1700.pdf

has it on page 16. (My copy of the manual has it on page 55.)

Have you also read the Design Guide? There's also an Application Note, AN-CC1002, that you may wish to look at.

How did you build the circuit? Is it on a breadboard or a printed circuit board?

lerameur
- 31st October 2008, 13:18
Hi,

I did the circuit opn page 16 yes, without the two optional part on pin 17 and 27. I used an 8 ohm speaker I bought for this experiment. As for the grounds, I used all the same ground. I did not know how to create different ground with a single power source.
thanks

ken

RussMartin
- 31st October 2008, 16:53
Are you able to do an ERASE?

What value is the resistor you are using for Rosc on pin 20?

What does the LED do when you try to use the various functions?

lerameur
- 31st October 2008, 17:04
I dont know about erase, I dont hear comprehemble sounds, I will run some tests with the led tonight and will let you know my findings then.

k

RussMartin
- 31st October 2008, 19:02
Here is the application note:

http://www.nuvoton-usa.com/products/isd_products/chipcorder/applicationbriefs/AN-CC1002.pdf

Right now, do not worry about sounds. Let us get the basic pushbutton functions to work by watching the LED.

lerameur
- 1st November 2008, 21:18
I hold down record and the led stays on until I unpress it. when I click on play there is a fast beeping, if I keep pushing on play, then I just hear multiple beeping and no led is turned on. when I click on erase the led flashes twice. when I hold down erase, the led flashes about 7 times.

I was once able to record and hear myself with a lot of noise. but I cannot reproduce this.

ken

lerameur
- 3rd November 2008, 02:06
I forgot to mention that the led do not get lit when I click on any other button then the one mentioned above.

ken

Agent36
- 17th January 2009, 18:14
Hi Russ,
I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the 1700 series audio chips.
I have built a couple of proto crcuits using surface mount isd1740's in push button mode to start with. I can record, fast forward and play with out any problem.
I would like some tips on how to remove the pops at the start and end of the recording, along with the back ground hiss. Such as circuit design and layout to enable me to get the best from these chips. I have added a lm386 audio amp using an old winbond application sheet. I have both the main application sheets.

Any help to be very much appreciated.

kind regards Nick

P.s If any other forum members have some advice I would be please to hear from you too.

RussMartin
- 20th January 2009, 17:04
I would like some tips on how to remove the pops at the start and end of the recording, along with the back ground hiss.

Are you recording from an audio line input or from a microphone? You might try an "anti-pop" resistor across the input. To reduce the hiss, try a low-pass filter.

How are you configuring the APC register?

At what frequency are you running the ISD?

Such as circuit design and layout to enable me to get the best from these chips.

Pay especial attention to bypassing (lots of it!) and to power and ground routing.

I have added a lm386 audio amp using an old winbond application sheet.

I would like to see a copy of that old application sheet if possible.

Agent36
- 20th January 2009, 21:36
Hi Russ,
Here is the info you asked for;

APC Register: Not sure if this can be done without spi mode. So its a No

Freq: Running at 8KHz going to up it to 12K when I get the right value resistor.

LM386 Application diagram: Here is the link www.quasarelectronics.com/ds/isd-ab6a.pdf
I used this when using the 1200 series chips, so tried it on the 1700 series, connecting it to the spk outputs. Have changed the circuit to the minimum parts diagram with a gain of 20 from the LM386 data sheet, and connected this to the AUD/AUX output.

Mic input: I tried it using the anain (with FT low) as per example #2 then I tried decoupling the Mic- to earth using a 0.1uf cap and a decoupling cap on the Mic+ to the source with a 1k resistor on the isd side between Mic+ and Mic-.

Did some more searching on the net and found the ISD-COB17xxx demo board user manual, this includes a circuit diagram and pcb layout. I am in the process of drawing a PCB board using this as a guide on a single sided PCB. If it would help I could try and up load the layout for you to look at. I would buy one as a trial but there not for sale in UK and postage is a bit steep from USA.

I hope I have provided all the info you asked for..

What sort of quality have you managed to get from these chips? Is the LM386 the right choice of amp for the ISD 1700?

Kind regards Nick