Power problems - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power problems

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

You are loading the 12V motor supply with regulator and on a 12V transformer.(16V~ on open circuit). when the motor is loaded, the transformer saturates probably and all the derived power supplies might go noisy.

Try to provide a separate supply for the 12V load. Things should improve.
    Regards,
    Sarma

Just for giggles.

If you do not have a scope or frequency meter. Use you DVM set for AC and se what the the voltage is from the programmer vs the out put of the 7805.

If you can measure frequency the take that measurement.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Its amazing,
    When I use the test board (http://dj-gil.com/PIC/posts/math.jpg) everything is ok.
    When I put in the wireWrap board (http://dj-gil.com/PIC/posts/WW1.jpg)
    (http://dj-gil.com/PIC/posts/WW2.jpg) its not working.

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by menta View Post
    Its amazing,
    When I use the test board (http://dj-gil.com/PIC/posts/math.jpg) everything is ok.
    When I put in the wireWrap board (http://dj-gil.com/PIC/posts/WW1.jpg)
    (http://dj-gil.com/PIC/posts/WW2.jpg) its not working.
    Just because it works on the 'test board' and it doesn't work on the 'wirewrap board', doesn't mean you schematic/parts are correct for that particular application.
    I don't see any capacitors across Vdd/Vss on the 'test board', but that doesn't mean there aren't any there (i.e. stray capacitance).
    I see a single resistor leading over to MCLR, but no capacitor, again, doesn't mean there isn't any capacitance on MCLR (albiet stray caps). And it also doesn't specifically mean that you have to have a capacitor across MCLR to ground, but it sure doesn't hurt.
    It also doesn't mean that your wiring, no matter how many times you've checked it, is correct and without fault.
    It also doesn't mean that the program you wrote for your '877 is actually going to run on your '887, or the other way around, without any changes in the source at all. the 16F877A is an old chip, the 16F887 is a new chip. A lot of differences between the 2.
    Maybe your programmer's power supply is a lot smoother than the other power supply you're using.
    Maybe your other power supply can't handle the extra load and dumps causing a reset, maybe it doesn't come up fast enough to satisfy the PIC, maybe it comes up too fast.
    1650 different reasons why stuff don't work. I think we've isolated like 3 possibilities...

I think i'm not going to use the 877A.
    Too much trouble comparing to the 887.
    I spent 2 days on this issue and I still can't understand why it works or not.
    Thanks.

btw, I've reached a point where my WW board is working, only when I use LONG wires to the external crystal.
    I guess this cause some kind of induction which makes it do work.
    I was using a very expensive wire (some kind of wire used in plans, teflon isolation, non melting) and it didn't work. Only when I used some simple 26 AWG wire it is working.
    go figure.
    Last edited by menta; - 30th July 2008 at 00:01.

btw, I've reached a point where my WW board is working, only when I use LONG wires to the external crystal.
    I was using a very expensive wire (some kind of wire used in plans, teflon isolation, non melting) and it didn't work. Only when I used some simple 26 AWG wire it is working.
    go figure.
    Hi Menta,
    every piece of wire, every component, every circuit board trace, exibits properties of both capacitance and inductance ( which means they act to some degree as both a capacitor and a coil ). The Oscillator in the PIC requires just a certain amount of each, or it will not work. When you use a crystal, you must use the correct value capacitors in the circuit or again, it will not work.<br>
    That said, imagine the long wires running parallel to one another. every mm of that wire adds capacitance to the circuit, probably why it works with the long wires and not the short ones. One big however is, the long wires also work as coils and will throw off the frequency of the Oscillator. So as Skimask pointed out, put in the capacitors, on very short wires and enjoy your success.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

skimask Guest

go figure.
    Are you using any cap's on your crystal at all?
    In fact, are there any capacitors anywhere on your circuit board?

At first I used capacitors on each device just like the book.
    Crystal to PIC with 2x 22pF cap.
    Did everything nice smooth and easy. All looked very good.
    The whole problem was due to that 2 wires to the Cystal.
    Thanks.

Morning Menta,

The 877A is a bit tempremental at times. I use it for a lot of projects, and I find that some times it works under strange conditions when it shouldn't. We've established that you have a resistor between VDD and MCLR, try wiring the MCLR direct to the 5V line. You will need 18pF or 22pF caps on that crystal. Back to super short leads and the caps between the xtal and ground on both sides. It's not just because we say it, it's because thats how they work.....
    Your transformer (I noticed you never answered what the rating is/was) probably has a lot of noise on it, so try putting a 470uF cap accross the output of the tranny and if possible, accross the output of the 7805. That will smooth out any ripples that may be around. Just because it SAYS it has a complete DC output doesn't mean it's true.
    Hope that helps some

1M resistor in parallel to the crystal has solved the problem.
    Thank all.
    Menta.