Temperature Logging

Closed Thread

Default Temperature Logging

Hi All

I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction on this one, save me barking up the wrong tree (or trees!)

I have a project (incubator) that is obviously going to have a temp sensor within, (Not choosen yet). Infrequently I will want to connect the incubator to the PC where I would like to stream data to the PC containin the temperature and read times in order to check the PID control and response times.

Can I stream this data to the PC to be loaded into one continuous file. Does it need to be stored on an Eeprom first and then all data sent to a hyperterminal? I have seen much hatred for the hyperterm application so is there a better free alternative to work with?

Thankin You..

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I don't think it's so much that there's hatred for Hyperterminal, it's just that there's much better options out there.

EEPROM - if you use a big enough PIC and have a small enough program, you can store the data in the code space (writecode, readcode) and retrieve it from there without adding to the chip count.

Default Incubators

Hello Tony,

I have made numerous incubators for zoology research. All have used the DS1620 or DS1629 and a simple PID to control either peltier devices or refrigeration compressors and heaters. I make the systems self contained with an LCD display and an UP, DOWN and ENTER buttons to change the setpoint. The LCD usually shows SetPoint, ActualTemp and sometimes time & date for units running any diurnal variation or executing a temperature profile.

I usually set the PIC hardware to stream ASCII characters out an RS-232 interface about once per 5~10 seconds giving setpoint, actual temperature, heating or cooling, PWM value for the heater/cooler and a timestamp.

There are a few tricks. With the DS162x clock line, I found I must terminate the clock line at the DS device end with 100 nF and 120 ohms to ground to stop ringing. The same for the data line but this seems less susceptible to noise. With this termination I can place the temperature sensor up to 5 metres from the electronics.

It also pays to make several readings and throw out any wild values, to have some hysteresis on the heat/cool changeover and a timer to prevent frequent short cooling bursts. Compressors will trip out on overload if you try to restart too soon before the high pressure side has had a chance to bleed the pressure off.

I gave Hyperterm the flick years ago - a heap of dingo droppings. I use TeraTerm for a much more robust and better terminal emulator.

HTH
    BrianT
    Last edited by BrianT; - 18th June 2008 at 00:28.

Thanks for all that Brian

I may need to pick your brains again when I really get into the thick of it! I doubt i'll need a cooler built in as the surrounding temperature will never be above the setpoint.

I'm going to go with your advice on tera term to see how it goes, also is your PID control implemented using hardware or software? I also need to decide on the route to take here, I think coding this could be difficult!

Cheers

Tony...