Be helpful otherwise go get a life, have a Beer, etc etc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Be helpful otherwise go get a life, have a Beer, etc etc

Unhelpful smart ass replies are becoming somewhat tiresome and excessive on this forum... if you don't want to sensibly contribute to a thread, then simply don't post - the person requesting help will soon realise that either their request is unreasonable, folks are too busy, or they just don't have an answer. That comment is aimed at specific people on this forum... without naming any...

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Melanie, I used to frequent this site quite often and now maybe once a week as most posts are answered by some of the same people and there replys are Too often "downing" the other peoples ideas. That is no help to the people asking for it....

Dave Purola,
    N8NTA

I do miss the picbasic list.
    If people go back and read the questions and replies that were exchanged then vs. now.
    I think most will agree that the list was a much friendlier place to ask questions.
    Victor

Being one of the noobiest persons here, I have to say I appreciate all the help I've been given getting through my issues. Even when peoples suggestions have clobbered each other - it's still useful as it gives me more to consider.

So, once again - Thanks to all who've been helping, if you're ever in Brisbane, Aus - There's a beer waiting for you

Quote Originally Posted by victorf57 View Post
    I do miss the picbasic list.
    If people go back and read the questions and replies that were exchanged then vs. now.
    I think most will agree that the list was a much friendlier place to ask questions.
    Victor
    I totally agree with Victor, I used to reply to the picbasic list where I had some relevant input to give, but since it has been stopped I have not bothered with this forum.

It would be nice to have the picbasic list resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie, smiling lady in the picture on your left View Post
    ....That comment is aimed at specific people on this forum... without naming any...
    I forgot to post on this!

I can count two of them for sure, I am not sure if there is more??

------------------
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

skimask Guest

So I guess PIC doesn't stand for Politically InCorrect?

Default New PBP e-mail list

I miss the old email list too, so I'm testing one on our server. If anyone wants to give it a
    whirl, send a blank email to [email protected] with subscribe in the subject line.

You should receive an automated return email stating you're subscribed. To unsubscribe
    just send another blank email to the same address with unsubscribe in the subject line.

If people use it, I'll leave it online.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

T.Jackson Guest

It really belittles a person when you reply in a smarty-alecky way. Firstly it insults their intelligence, secondly it puts the person in fear of more ridicule about asking anymore questions.

If you are genuine about trying to help someone, the best reply you can give is claims with reasoning (explanation). For example: Resistors have colour bands on them, <u> because the colours are used to identify their value.</u>

The underlined words denote the reasoning; it explains why resistors have colour bands on them. The words before it form the claim. That sentence is called a premise.

Trent Jackson

Hi, Trent

You're absolutely right ... but only for one kind of people: Those who really want to learn something.

For the ever increasing number of the Other kinds It's not an insult to their intelligence ( if one ...) but to their sluggishness of mind ... or cupidity.

I'm really upset seeing some people here asking for others to make their projects or find hardw. solutions for them ... and that will make money with the forum's work.

I really think re-centering this Forum on the exclusive PbP/PbC use would solve the "problem" by itself.

Were're back to the "Project section" existing question ... no more !

Regards to KangarooLand

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...
    IF there is the word "Problem" in your question ...
    certainly the answer is " RTFM " or " RTFDataSheet " !!!

T.Jackson Guest

Thanks a lot Alain.

I studied pretty hard for Applied Reasoning. Regret picking the topic on captial punishment, it did offend one of the markers who consequently dished it off to someone else who in the end gave me a credit for the unit. I think she agreed mostly with what I wrote, and how I presented the argument, she even encourgaed me a bit with it too. I dare say that she has children of her own.

Trent Jackson
    Last edited by T.Jackson; - 8th June 2008 at 16:20.

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Acetronics View Post
    You're absolutely right ... but only for one kind of people: Those who really want to learn something.

For the ever increasing number of the Other kinds It's not an insult to their intelligence ( if one ...) but to their sluggishness of mind ... or cupidity.
    You are really attempting to stereotype a classification of people with those claims. I totally disagree. It's much like saying that people who don't complete high school will endup as criminals and never turn out to be intelligent individuals.

That's an absolutely crazy, completely biased assumption Alain.

Trent Jackson

T.Jackson Guest

Go off profiles Alain, not your own personal biased / vendetta driven assumptions.

Regards,

Trent Jackson

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by T.Jackson View Post
    Go off profiles Alain, not your own personal biased / vendetta driven assumptions.

Regards,

Trent Jackson
    Hi, Trent

no personnal vendetta ( ! ) or like, I've never sold ( nor wanted to sell ... LoL ! ) any code !!! ... just consider some respect is due to those who GIVE their free time ... and share their experience.

let's just begin by those throwing here some hasty code lines, thinking the whole world already knows about their "great" project, and just asking "what's wrong" , "Very Urgent" ... or never having opened the "Holy Bible" ( say: PbP manual + The relevant Pic Datasheet ) !!!

want some links to "neat" examples ??? ( not only here, it now happens in every forum I watch ... whatever the theme ! )

O tempora ...

Alain
    Why insist on using 32 Bits when you're not even able to deal with the first 8 ones ??? ehhhhhh ...

T.Jackson Guest

Knowledge received / knowledge given back out to the world is what life is all about. This is why I have posted 21 of my projects on Planet Source Code, close to around 100,000 lines of code all up at a wild guess. I personally expect people to manipulate the code for their own usage, in fact I actually want them to.

I would of course frown upon the thought of someone compiling the entire project "as is" and massively profiting from it. In my book this is nothing short nor far from outright theft. But this is the chance that I'm prepared to take. Most people know what's worth a dollar and what's worth a million. If it's an obvious solution or it has been done before -- probably best to set it free for the entire world to see

Trent Jackson

Go get a life, have a Beer, etc etc.

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Go get a life, have a Beer, etc etc.
    There's beer in that picture?

malc-c Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    What a lovely set of jugs

malc-c Guest

I'm going to sit on the fence on this. On one side I can see how some sarcastic comments or non-helpful responce could upset or alienate a new poster, but also I see Alains point, and all too often on this forum (and others) you see people posting for the first time without first searching / browsing the forum, or doing a google on the subject. I think people would get a better reply and more respect if they are seen to of tried resarching the project first.

I've generally had excellent support from the members here when working on my projects, but then I did come to the table with a work in progress, rather than asking someone to send me the code and schematic from first post

T.Jackson Guest

Hi, Trent

no personnal vendetta ( ! ) or like, I've never sold ( nor wanted to sell ... LoL ! ) any code !!! ...
    Such an "emotive" response in every post that you make with all those "!!!" ...

This is very bad stuff in academia. Guaranteed loss of marks.

FYI: emotive implies "vendetta"

Cheers,

Trent Jackson

Wink

Trent,

I sometimes wonder if you know this forum is 1) pbP 2) not yours ... and 3) not " one cent psycho ..."

after all ... recentering this forum was not so bad an idea ...

Alain

T.Jackson Guest

I sometimes wonder if you know this forum is 1) pbP 2) not yours ... and 3) not " one cent psycho ..."
    That is absolutely impossible to argue with. I indeed have my future plans focused on talking in PBP / electronics or not talking at all.

Trent Jackson

Talking

I choose the second option ...without hesitating.

Regards

Alain

mas tequila
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

skimask Guest

I choose the second option ...without hesitating.
    Regards
    Alain
    I 2nd your 2nd option...and I'll raise you those 5 jugs from 7 posts ago!
    Motion carried...

May be Luciano will find us the picture of the maid bringing the jugs to customers ...

( München, Bierfest ... If I'm right ? )

really impressive !

The Maid also ... is impressive !!!

Alain

Seems a lot of people forgot the Thread title and purpose... so let's try to have fun?
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yzcEG_JoVuo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yzcEG_JoVuo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Talking 2008 Poetry contest ???

this is a pure jewel ...

Alain
    Last edited by Acetronics2; - 10th June 2008 at 09:29.

T.Jackson Guest

In an attempt at bringing this thread back on topic ...

In my final assignment for Applied Reasoning I was given a rather interesting question to answer: How can you personally benefit from helping others to learn?

Hmm ... there's not an obvious answer to it, I spent a fair amount of time thinking about it, I got full marks for my response ...

You benefit from helping others to learn because, in a sense you're actually exercising your own knowledge, and the more that you exercise the better that you ultimately become!

Is there a better answer to this question?

Your thoughts are appreciated on this.

Regards,

Trent Jackson

And I might add:

What comes around goes around.

Or is that the other way around?
    Dave

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    And I might add:

What comes around goes around.

Or is that the other way around?
    From that response I can easily see that you're an "eye for an eye", "you help me change my tyre and I'll help you change yours" -- type of person. This is good, I'm a lot like this too. You're a righteous person.

Trent Jackson

Talking

In an attempt at bringing this thread back on topic ...

In my final assignment for Applied Reasoning I was given a rather interesting question to answer: How can you personally benefit from helping others to learn?

Hmm ... there's not an obvious answer to it, I spent a fair amount of time thinking about it, I got full marks for my response ...

Is there a better answer to this question?

Your thoughts are appreciated on this.

Regards,

Trent Jackson

Hi, Trent
    I think This is the Health question of the week

"When you do good things for others, you do good things for your health. You may also be doing good things for the health of your community, research now shows. An Ontario study on the health benefits of volunteering reveals that it not only improves self-esteem and combats social isolation, but also reduces the impact of stress on the body, lowering blood pressure and even bolstering the immune system."

To be specific...

"Participants identified the following key benefits of volunteer work: skill development, coping with isolation, the chance to 'give back' to the community, to meet people, to enhance job prospects, personal growth, personal empowerment and to gain a new perspective on one's own problems.
    "In addition, volunteering was reported to enhance self-esteem through the 'good feelings' derived from helping others and feeling worthwhile and needed.

"Volunteering was described as distracting one from one's aches and pains, providing motivation for rehabilitation and activity, helping overcome social isolation, and providing a sense of community and belonging."

Questions of the Week:
    What skills and interests do you have that you could use to help others? What opportunities are available where you live? How could you encourage your peers, friends, and family members to get involved with a volunteer project? How could the community benefit from their involvement? How could they personally benefit?

See this engineers forum

http://cr4.globalspec.com/forum/instrumentation

1000s of engineers, asking nob answer.

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by precision View Post
    "When you do good things for others, you do good things for your health. You may also be doing good things for the health of your community, research now shows. An Ontario study on the health benefits of volunteering reveals that it not only improves self-esteem and combats social isolation, but also reduces the impact of stress on the body, lowering blood pressure and even bolstering the immune system."
    Throw in: "For the greater good of humanity" and I like that response. Of course you would need to make reference to those claims -- they're not yours.

Trent Jackson

I was read this report many time, But its universal truth.

http://www.accessexcellence.org/HHQ/.../qow060515.php

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by precision View Post
    I was read this report many time, But its universal truth.

http://www.accessexcellence.org/HHQ/.../qow060515.php
    There is always questionable truth in every claim, even claims from Doctors.

Trent Jackson

There is always questionable truth in every claim, even claims from Doctors.

Trent Jackson
    Hey Trent,

When I sign my name on official documents I always put three letters at the end. PHD
    Dave

skimask Guest

When I sign my name on official documents I always put three letters at the end. PHD
    BAM!
    Game, set, match!

T.Jackson Guest

Hey Trent,

Lol ... Oh that's it -- from now on I'll have to make doubly sure that Dave's claims aren't composed of utter subjectivity. I'll be happy enough if I ever get to be able to put b.tech under my name

Trent Jackson

Lol ... Oh that's it -- from now on I'll have to make doubly sure that Dave's claims aren't composed of utter subjectivity.
    Yep, everything is subjective.

Did I forget to mention that PHD stands for Post Hole Digger?
    Dave

Yep, everything is subjective.

Did I forget to mention that PHD stands for Post Hole Digger?
    Hey Dave,
    That's like my B.E. then, stands for Backyard Engineering . . .
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.