Development system

Closed Thread

Default Development system

I'm confused as to what to buy for a development board. I would like to set up something similar to what the Basic Stamp development system is, a socket for the PIC and a way to connect to the computer for program development and programming of the processor. I have a MELAB U2 programmer with a zip socket that I use to program the PIC, but now I have to program, then remove the PIC from the zip socket and plug it into my circuit to test the program. I would like to be able to use debug feature as in the Basic Stamp system so I can see what is going on on my computer screen. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to buy.
    Thanks,
    Klaus

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Well, that brings me to the next question. Can I use PIC Basic with this or do I have to use C?
    Will this work with the 18F2550 or 4550 and other PICS? I guess I just don't understand the data on the PICKIT2. I would rather not have to learn C, I have enough trouble with Basic.

No "C" required. The PICKIT2 transfers hex files to the chip, in or out of circuit.

Use MCS or MPLAB to compile the PIC BASIC code into hex. The PICKIT2 software can be setup so when it sees a hex file of your choice updated it will automatically program the part. Or if you do not want auto it has a manual setting.

Yes it will work with the chips you mention.
    This page list on the left side all of the chips it will program.
    http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...cName=en027813
    Dave

Hi,

You can go the pickit2 route as there are a number of contributors here who can and would be happy help you out.

But you have a Melabs serial programmer, and therefore you already have a very capable piece of programmer hardware. Compiler wise the step from stamp to PBP is very straightforward. Take a look at Mecanique MicroCode Studio as an IDE. Especially take a look at the ICD demo, which will take your learning curve almost vertical.

Furthermore as you are already into Basic why not go for it and take one of the Melabs development boards, I went the whole MeLabs route with the X1, and never regretted it, although it may be a bit dated now(certainly very battered).

Seems a shame to throw the U2 programmer away really.

Duncan

I have the microcode studio, the U2 programmer but do not know what to get with that to make it function similar to the Basic Stamp development board. Will the Melabs development board allow me to do that, and what is the development board I should get? I'm using PIC18F2550. With the development board, can I use other PIC's? Sorry to be so ignorant, but my level of expertise lies in using the Basic Stamp and not much beyond that.

Hi

It is a little while since I used the stamp environment, although I came across the manual fairly recently it is not with me right now, so I am a little rusty.

I did not use a development board as such, from what I remember it was quite small with just a prototyping area is this what you have been using, or are you on the "board of education"?

I have just looked at the site and I cannot for the life of me remember what the IDE program was called, I cannot find the disk either at the moment either, was it bright yellow with red stripes?

Probably not helping much here

Duncan

________

I was using the 'Professional Development Board', which has several switches, sockets for various Basic Stamp modules, RS232 interface to PC, pots, 7-segment LED displays, and the prototype plug in boards, so you can build your circuit, and be connected to the PC for testing and debugging. I'm trying to set up something similar for use with PICs. Thanks for your help.
    Klaus

You may want to check if this is still available:
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8464

If not, you can get a new one here:
    http://www.mikroe.com/en/tools/

They all have a built-in programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    I was using the 'Professional Development Board', Klaus
    It looks very much like you have everything you need already. Maybe it is just a question of making the step over to PIC.

The stages are connecting the PIC to the power source and adding the MCLR circuit on Pin 1.
    Hooking the programmer directly as the ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming) requires 3 signals and GND. Just use a 10 pin IDC Ribbon socket and establish which PINs are which.

You can use the internal Oscillator on the 18F ( you can set/change all the fuses at progamming time very easily with the U2 using the config window)

Hook up a simple circuit like a single LED and try blinky.

it would seem that you already have experience with the stamp so if you could find an easy way of programming the PIC in Circuit then basically you have the STAMP.

I use 3M SOIC testing clips and for DIL's (Dual In Line) ( I use Cliff Dil clips but I do not think they are still in production) you could look at 3M DIL Clips though.

If you do not use the Data and clock lines pins 39 and 40 on the 18F, you could leave the U2 permanently connected direct to the breadboard.

Duncan

Smile

My sincere thanks to everyone who has answered my questions. This is all making sense to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    This is all making sense to me now.
    Hope you can say that in a month or so
    I get more confused every day.
    Dave