I need HELP with compiling!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Default I need HELP with compiling!!!!!!

I have successfuly installed MicroCode Studio v3.0.0.5, MPLAB IDE v7.61, and PicBasic Pro v2.5 on my Windows Vista computer. I also downloaded the MPLAB Plugins and set the path to locate MPASMWIN. Now I think I start the Project Wizard in the Project Menu. Then I select a device, then a language toolsuite, then create a project filename, and finally I add any existing files to my project. Once this is done, can I write my program in either PicBasic or assembly language and compile it into an Intel HEX file? Or is it more complicated than this? I bought PicBasic Pro over a month ago and I still haven't gotten to configure and use it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by kenny_m View Post
    Now I think I start the Project Wizard in the Project Menu. Then I select a device, then a language toolsuite, then create a project filename, and finally I add any existing files to my project. Once this is done, can I write my program in either PicBasic or assembly language and compile it into an Intel HEX file? Or is it more complicated than this? I bought PicBasic Pro over a month ago and I still haven't gotten to configure and use it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Kenny_m,
    Project Wizard? In Microcode Studio?
    I use Microcode Studio, and have never seen a Project Wizard. You have a row of statements at the top, File Edit View Project Help, under that you have Icons, the first starts a new file , the second opens existing files . . . To compile or compile and program click on project and select the action you want to do, you will be asked to give your code a name and you can pick where to save it.
    JS
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Smile willing to guess...

Hi kenny_m,

I am fuzzy on these facts, but willing to guess. I know how difficult it is to “arm wrestle” with a simple (to others) problem.

I guess MPLAB IDE has a Project Wizard. This gives the option to use PicBASIC Pro (PBP) as an option inside the MPLAB IDE. I have never tried this way.

I generally start MicroCode Studio (MSC), edit the program and compile using PBP. This makes an assembly level code. MPASM makes the assembly code into HEX and your programmer squirts the HEX into the PIC. Sounds complicated but it is all done automatically, right from MCS into the PIC. Single icon click.

You have to link all the programs like they said in the other post.

Maybe someone can straighten this out more accurately than this.

-Adam-
    Ohm it's not just a good idea... it's the LAW !

Kenny,

Looks like you are correct.
    MPLAB
    Project Wizard from Project Menue
    next
    Select Device
    next
    Select Language Toolsuite
    next
    Project name and directory
    next
    Add file if you have one
    next
    Finish

It you need to make a file now click NEW icon and save it as *.bas if you are using the PBP tool *.asm if using that.

Then go to Project from the menu and ADD file to project.

At least that is how I do it.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Default Thank you Joe S, Pic User, & mackrackit

I thank you all for the help. I finally generated an Intel HEX file. What I did was open MicroCode Studio and typed in my PicBasic Pro code. Then I used F9 to compile it into assembly code. Then I closed MCS and opened MPLAB IDE. I opened the assembly code file and then used Project Wizard to create a project. I'm not sure what I did after that but when I looked in the directory that contained the assembly file, there were about six other files there with the same root name but different file extensions. One of them was the HEX file. I think I'll try compilling another program and keep looking in the directory to see just when these files are generated. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by kenny_m; - 15th February 2008 at 16:56. Reason: mispelled word

Quote Originally Posted by kenny_m View Post
    I thank you all for the help. I finally generated an Intel HEX file. What I did was open MicroCode Studio and typed in my PicBasic Pro code. Then I used F9 to compile it into assembly code. Then I closed MCS and opened MPLAB IDE. I opened the assembly code file and then used Project Wizard to create a project. I'm not sure what I did after that but when I looked in the directory that contained the assembly file, there were about six other files there with the same root name but different file extensions. One of them was the HEX file. I think I'll try compilling another program and keep looking in the directory to see just when these files are generated. Thanks again for the help.
    If you properly set up MCS you can do everything with a couple of mouse clicks, right from MCS. Honestly I have never used the MPLAB IDE, so I do not even know the benefit you are getting or expecting from it, it sure sounds as if trying to use it is causing you a lot of extra steps to follow. Anyway, if anything I added was useful, you are welcome.
    JS
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.