Help ! New to programming and building a time Machine !

Closed Thread

Default Help ! New to programming and building a time Machine !

<font color=red><b>Screeeeeech, Crash Boom !</b></font color> That is what the Guru's hear when they see a newbie post like this.
    <b>ATTENTION ALL NOOBS! ATTENTION ALL NOOBS ! ATTENTION ALL NOOBS !</b>
    From one newbie to another, ( I consider myself a newbie having 1 1/2 year at this ) Do not do
    this to yourself. 1st you buy the books, and the compiler, you order some chips . . . you ever
    wonder why all the books recommend the 16F84 ? It's no accident, it is because it is simple to get
    working!
    So do not buy the 18Fxxxxx whatever or anything but what you see supported in your books. . .
    YET ! There is time Grasshopper ! Get your blinky working first! THEN, repeat, THEN get your
    LCD to say " Hello World" Just like learning every other programming language !<b> It is far better
    to make simple projects work, than to make a complex FAILURE.</b><br>
    After all that, learn how to count with loops, learn how use each command one at a time.
    Then learn about timers and interrupts, all can be done with that 16F84, sure there are better chips
    and you will get to them, but you need a foundation or the house will fall.
    It makes no sense to try to work with a chip with 44 SMD type pins to blink a dozen LEDS,
    especially when that device causes severe brain damage trying to set up some 2 dozen registers
    just to work, and considering NEWBIE, YOU very likely have never before read a Micros Data sheet
    and have no idea what you are reading means, Those things are not written for Fresh Newbies
    and as such you have to learn the language, yes here is where you start to learn, <b>welcome !</b>

One big thing ALL of the books I have purchased neglects, are how to set the config fuses.
    Good Fortune to you, Melanie has posted a comprehensive tutorial on the matter, and by the time
    you have need to know more, you will have some understanding of the DATA Sheets, and of
    MPASM and of .inc files, and will be able to hunt for the answers.
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=543

Good Luck, Good Fortune, and Welcome
    JS
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I agree with you Joe. It is so easy to have big plans and want to make something work. Hard to sit down and study. If people would just realize that the simple projects will quickly lead to the complex.

but...what about the time machine? I figure all you have to do is blink an LED backwards.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Smile

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the write up. There should be some sort of requirement to "read this first" before being able to log on but that would deter the people that are in a "hurry" to finish a complete design by tomorrow morning.

It's frustrating!

We were all noobs at one time or another! As for the time machine idea, I think you will need a bigger PIC or maybe many PICs with an RS485 link between them all.

BobK

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    As for the time machine idea, I think you will need a bigger PIC or maybe many PICs with an RS485 link between them all.
    BobK
    The new PICs coming on line have a QFI (Quantum Foam Interface) module for instantaneous submolecular state transposition, as well as employing a MPTE (Multi Phase Turbo Enacabulator)...see below...

Code:
    Engineers last week were avidly reading a pamphlet published by
    Arthur D. Little, Inc., a venerable Cambridge, Mass, chemical and
    engineering research firm. Title: The Turbo-Encabulator in Industry.
    Excerpts: " ... Work has been proceeding in order to bring perfection
    to the crudely conceived idea of a machine that would not only supply
    inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but
    would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal
    grammeters. Such a machine is the 'Turbo-Encabulator'. "The original
    machine had a base-plate of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a
    malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving
    bearings were in a direct line with the pentametric fan. ... The main
    winding was of the normal lotus-o-delta type placed in panendermic
    semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being
    connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential
    girdlespring on the 'up' end of the grammeters. "Forty-one manestically
    spaced grouting brushes were arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream
    a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% reminative
    tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities
    given by P = 2.5C.n^6-7 where n is the diathetical evolute of
    retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Cholmondeley's
    annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of a
    metapolar refractive pilfrometer . . . but up to the present date nothing
    has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope. ... 
    "Undoubtedly, the turbo-encabulator has now reached a very high level
    of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating
    nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is
    required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating
    dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration."
    Need I say more?
    Last edited by skimask; - 29th January 2008 at 15:07.

The new PICs coming on line have a QFI (Quantum Foam Interface) module for instantaneous submolecular state transposition, as well as employing a MPTE (Multi Phase Turbo Enacabulator)
    Would the be MicroChips

∞Fxxx

I bet the data sheet is in continuous loop format.
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Default But my homework is due tomorrow!

Here I've wasted three years on flux capacitors! I hope Darrel gets the time-warp interrupts into Instant Interrupts 2008, I'd hate to miss my worm-hole because I was in a PicBasic pause command, and I refuse to build a time machine that uses assembly language. Will this make Long variables all relative?

When I started programming we used punch cards, and the computer processor had tubes in it. The 'Impact' printer was housed in a cabinet because you couldn't stand the noise. An 18FXXX is more powerful than the computers that put a man on the moon. No wonder that it takes more than an hour to learn all that they are capable of. I've been learning for over thirty years now, and I'm still not finished.

Hey Joe, can I borrow the time machine, my homework is due tomorrow!

Jerry.
    If your oscilloscope costs more than your car...

Quote Originally Posted by b1arrk5 View Post
    Here I've wasted three years on flux capacitors! I hope Darrel gets the time-warp interrupts into Instant Interrupts 2008, I'd hate to miss my worm-hole because I was in a PicBasic pause command, and I refuse to build a time machine that uses assembly language. Will this make Long variables all relative?

When I started programming we used punch cards, and the computer processor had tubes in it. The 'Impact' printer was housed in a cabinet because you couldn't stand the noise. An 18FXXX is more powerful than the computers that put a man on the moon. No wonder that it takes more than an hour to learn all that they are capable of. I've been learning for over thirty years now, and I'm still not finished.

Hey Joe, can I borrow the time machine, my homework is due tomorrow!

Jerry.
    Hi Jerry,
    I remember those big monsters, My Dad worked a while in a computer bookkeeping business
    and I remember studying fortran because My Dad had the manuals. Took up the whole room!
    That big, Iron Business Machine! I even scrapped one out once, the printer was 600 pounds.

Official forum rules, yer on yer own for homework
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.