My date this weekend.

Closed Thread

Default My date this weekend.

I'm looking for some advice here because I had the strangest conversation with a woman this weekend and I'm not sure what to do. Who would have thought the Pic basic forum is a place to go for dating advice!

So, I'm 30 and I was taking a 25 year old out to dinner. We drive to the resturant together and like always on a Friday night, we had to wait to get a table. We talk for a little bit and she asks me what time we got there. I said, "quarter after 6" and it was currently 6:45pm. She goes, "wow, we've only been here for 20 minutes. It feels longer then that." So, I think to myself, "what the hell is she talking about, it is!" So I reply, "Yeah, it's been 30 minutes." She goes, if we got here at a quarter after 6 and it's 6:45 that's only 20 minutes.

Now, she has a masters degree in education so she's not stupid. She tells me that a quarter after 6 is 6:25 not 6:15. Then I ask her what time is a quarter till 7 and she tells me 6:45. This chick is obviously confused. So I say, "do you know why it's called a quarter after 6?" She seems confused. I ask her what's 60/4 and now she starts getting nervous but can't come up with the answer. I explained that it's not a quarter (25 cents) but you divide the number by 4. I told her if there were 80 minutes in an hour that a quarter would be 20, not 15.

Now, she keeps telling me I'm wrong and proceeds to call her mom to verify that I'm correct. At this point, I'm a little embarrased because wouldn't you think a 25 year old can tell time? So, he mom verifies that I'm right and she says quietly, "You're right." I'm like, I know I am!!!

I asked her if her sister (she's 24) know's what time a quarter after is and she tells me that she doesn't think she would know. I'm dumbfounded at this point but when we get back to her place I ask her sister. Sure enough, she's just as confused.

Now, here is the point of the story. Should I just blame the parents and overlook this? Should I see her again?

Maybe this story will give you a laugh or two for a Monday morning.
    Chris

skimask Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher4187 View Post
    Now, she has a masters degree in education so she's not stupid.
    There's the problem right there. 25 Y/O. Probably just got out of school. All book learning, no real life.
    Time to do some real life training... Chikka-chikka-bow-wow... (Quagmire...)- Giga-dee-giga-dee-goo OH

Hi,

Dyscalculia?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Here in the industry sometimes the "Industriezeit" (industry time) is used where one
    day has 24 hours and each hour has 100 minutes.

http://www.marco-burmeister.de/helfe...ieminuten.html

Example:

Standard time / "Industriezeit"

6.15 --------------- 6.25
    6.30 --------------- 6.50
    6.45 --------------- 6.75

Should I see her again?
    Is she pregnant?

Best regards,

Luciano

Chris,

Similar things happen all over the world; as something similar could have been to you also.

The important thing is; you two have been able to discuss, not fight.
    I think you should see her again.

BTW; She is only quarter century old !
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

skimask Guest

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute....
    Something I forgot to point out here....

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher4187 View Post
    I'm dumbfounded at this point but when we get back to her place I ask her sister. Sure enough, she's just as confused.
    I rest my case

Thanks for the reply guys.

Skimask,

The real life training is already completed! :-)

Luciano,

No, she isn't pregnant!
    Also, they seem to come up with a term for everything nowadays. If had trouble understanding why people poop on the toilet, would they call it "dyspoopula?"

Sayzer,

Maybe you're right. I'll give her another chance but I just find that problem so damn weird!

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sayzer View Post
    BTW; She is only quarter century old !
    How many is that in dog years?

Chris

I dont think your date is confused; she seems to have a higher intelligence. Artificial intelligence with super humans having coded the real time interpreter. Think Einstein here and you'll see where I'm getting. Think hard enough, what stops 20 mins being a quarter hour? Pose this to a mathemagician and he will sure enough come up with an equation to prove that 20mins = quarter hour.

On a positive note, I think you'll learn a few new things hanging around the new date. Good luck

Jerson

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerson View Post
    Think hard enough, what stops 20 mins being a quarter hour? Pose this to a mathemagician and he will sure enough come up with an equation to prove that 20mins = quarter hour.
    Jerson
    Maybe...just maybe...in a few hundred thousand years, as the moon pulls away in it's orbit, and the tidal forces drag on Earth's rotation, 20 minutes as we know them today, will actually become a quarter of an hour, which will mean an 80 minute hour, but by then, I'm sure we'll have redefined units of time.

mathemagician

OK, so she's not a rocket scientist, but how does she look? Is she fun to be with?

Can she carry on a reasonably intelligent conversation without minor math problems?

If you were to marry her, could you return 5 hours late, and blame it on planetary rotation,
    lunar shift, or other stellar events..;o}

My wife almost fell out of her chair after reading a few of the responses here.

Thanks for sharing. For sure entertaining stuff...;o}

Time posted: 25 cents after 6 o'clock.
    Last edited by Bruce; - 28th January 2008 at 19:03. Reason: Kant spelll stuff ryte.
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

Smile True Military Time

“True Military Time”
    I think, true military time (hours and 100th of hours) used to be divided into 100 pieces to an hour

That’s where the saying: “Oh-eight-hundred“ came from:
    Oh-eight-hundred hours
    fourteen hundred hours

It would be written with a decimal (.) point and not a colon (
    Hours on a “base one hundred” not a “base sixty” system.
    Similar to what Luciano showed us.

So she is closer to a rocket scientist than we are!
    Also if she works for a payroll company, they divide time with decimal system too.

I would keep her!
    If you guys could discuss such an “early learned” impression and not fight, she is a keeper.

Besides think of all the other interesting miscommunications you would have.

-Adam-
    Ohm it's not just a good idea... it's the LAW !

The French Republican Calendar or French Revolutionary Calendar is a calendar
    proposed during the French Revolution, and used by the French government for about
    thirteen years from late 1793 to 1805, and for 18 days in 1871.

The first day of each year was that of the autumnal equinox. There were twelve months, each
    divided into three ten-day weeks called décades. The tenth day, décadi, replaced Sunday as
    the day of rest and festivity. The five or six extra days needed to approximate the solar or
    tropical year were placed after the months at the end of each year.
    Each day was divided into ten hours, each hour into 100 decimal minutes and each decimal
    minute had 100 decimal seconds.
    Thus an hour was more than twice as long as a conventional
    hour; a minute was slightly longer than a conventional minute; and a second was slightly
    shorter than a conventional second. Clocks were manufactured to display this decimal time,
    but it did not catch on and mandatory use was officially suspended April 7, 1795, although
    some cities continued to use decimal time as late as 1801.

More about that here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

Vive la France!

Best regards,

Luciano

when flying, airtime is counted to one decimal place. its read off a HOBBS meter (that counts engine run time in decimal hours) and is recorded in the log book as decimal hours.. its a little wierd to get used too when your trying to calculate it from a regular clock since every 0.1 is 6 minutes....

skimask Guest

She goes, if we got here at a quarter after 6 and it's 6:45 that's only 20 minutes.
    Thought of another thing...
    Ask her how long it's going to take pizza to show up if the guy on the phone says he'll be there in 'half an hour'.
    According to her logic, should take 50 minutes. Half an hour should be a lot easier to grasp than 1/4 hour.
    Maybe that'll kick her thought process up a notch and cause an 'AHA' moment.

Quote Originally Posted by skimask View Post
    .... and cause an 'AHA' moment.
    That " 'AHA' moment " could be the last moment Chris sees her.
    "If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital." Napoleon Bonaparte

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sayzer View Post
    That " 'AHA' moment " could be the last moment Chris sees her.
    Ok, that's no good... Need new plan...
    Ok....

Chris...

1/4 hour = 25 minutes... Good plan...

Wink Marriage???????

Some good responses here!

Bruce,

I'm certainly not going to marry her at this point!!!! However, wouldn't it be funny if one day we did and had kids and I saved this thread to show them all 20 years from now? If my kids has trouble understanding time, I could tell them, "Look, even when mommy was 25 she had trouble too!!!"

I'll keep her around for a little while. She's intriguing but understands nothing about electronics! How can you have an intelligent conversation with someone when they don't even understand ohm's law?