Schematic for simple demo

Closed Thread
    iandonahue Guest

Default Schematic for simple demo

Newbie here... I'm just starting out with some of the demos; Using Pic Basic Pro with Code Studio and trying to successfully run the "mouse scrolling" demo that makes your cursor go in circles. Everything went pretty well with the compiling and programming, but I'm getting the usual "device not working" tag from Windows. I think the problem is the wiring on my breadboard and I'd like some help. Does anyone have a schematic for this simple trick? I'm using a 18f4455.

Any help would be appreciated.

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iandonahue View Post
    Newbie here... I'm just starting out with some of the demos; Using Pic Basic Pro with Code Studio and trying to successfully run the "mouse scrolling" demo that makes your cursor go in circles. Everything went pretty well with the compiling and programming, but I'm getting the usual "device not working" tag from Windows. I think the problem is the wiring on my breadboard and I'd like some help. Does anyone have a schematic for this simple trick? I'm using a 18f4455.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Let's see your schematic and program... Maybe we'll find a simple flaw in what you have already.

Here's a generic USB circuit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

-Bruce
    tech at rentron.com
    http://www.rentron.com

I found this to be useful:
    http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano/CUI/

Scroll down to "Section 2" for details on a bare-bones circuit.

Does any1 know what the purpose of the 1Mohm resistor across the crystal?
    "I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?" - Douglas Adams

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze47 View Post
    Does any1 know what the purpose of the 1Mohm resistor across the crystal?
    http://www.tla.co.nz/xtal1.html

Quote Originally Posted by skimask View Post
    From above link: "...Many microcontrollers have this resistor internally and may have different values for different frequency operations. If so, then the external resistor is not needed."

Pretty much every PIC data sheet i've looked at indicates that this resistor is internal to the PIC. (e.g. PIC18F4550 data sheet pg. 24).

So I guess all of the circuit diagrams that indicate to add this resistor externally for a PIC would be incorrect (or in the very least, redundant).
    "I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?" - Douglas Adams

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze47 View Post
    From above link: "...Many microcontrollers have this resistor internally and may have different values for different frequency operations. If so, then the external resistor is not needed."
    Pretty much every PIC data sheet i've looked at indicates that this resistor is internal to the PIC. (e.g. PIC18F4550 data sheet pg. 24).
    So I guess all of the circuit diagrams that indicate to add this resistor externally for a PIC would be incorrect (or in the very least, redundant).
    As far as I know, that's entirely correct.
    You switch config settings (i.e. XT, HS, etc) to basically change resistors inside the PIC for the different drives levels required for external crystals.
    Higher speed crystals/frequencies need more juice to switch logic levels, higher slew rates, which require more power.