How do you learn best?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    T.Jackson Guest

Default How do you learn best?

How do you learn best? -- take the test here; http://www.vark-learn.com/english/pa...=questionnaire

I'm currently doing a University unit entitled; Applied Reasoning, it's about smart thinking and aims to enhance ones self awareness, understanding, logic, reason and so on. I discovered that my learning style is; visual, kinetic and reading & writing. I scored relatively low with verbal learning, 4 out of 10 in fact. But visual, kinetic, reading & writing each brought me home a 10.

What's your score? Post it here and we'll discuss ways in which you can improve even further on it and make the most of what it is that you do best!

Trent Jackson

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

[quote]
    * Visual: 4
    * Aural: 3
    * Read/Write: 7
    * Kinesthetic: 8
    You have a multimodal (RK) learning preference.
    [quote]
    http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=multimodal

COOL...it even knows about my bifocals and hearing aids!
    Dave
    Always wear safety glasses while programming.

Visual: 11
    Aural: 8
    Read/Write: 12
    Kinesthetic: 6

You have a multimodal (VARK) learning preference
    so I'm the back half of an ant-eater?

T.Jackson Guest

Well you learn something everyday - I thought those results were on a scale of 1 to 10. I think I assumed this because I got three 10's & a 4.

What the Vark is that all about?????
    Stupid Varkin' questionairs!

Who gives a Vark what they say you are anyway!
    Peter Moritz.
    Up the bush, Western Plains,
    New South Wales,
    Australia.

T.Jackson Guest

That test is very accurate and widely recognized by Universities in Australia. It aims to identify your strength's & weaknesses so that one can focus on their strength and try to improve on any weaknesses. I'd be careful about throwing stones at something that you have little or no knowledge about. Many students struggle with study, and this test is a valuable tool!

Why don't you take the test and post your results so that we can discuss some of your problems.

I guess I can forget about being a Rocket Scientist now.
    • Visual: 5
    • Aural: 2
    • Read/Write: 7
    • Kinesthetic: 6
    You have a multimodal (VRK) learning preference
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Incidentaly, if you just go down the list and click all the boxes, you get
    • Visual: 16
    • Aural: 16
    • Read/Write: 16
    • Kinesthetic: 16

Uncanny accuracy.

_
    DT

T.Jackson Guest

It's not a test on intelligence. You need to be completely honest with your answers, otherwise it would be void.

Apparently, it also needs interpretation.
    Getting a higher score than someone else doesn't mean anything.

I guess it's a good thing they also SELL books and software that tell you how to use the results.

Now who's going to buy that to interpret this thread?
    And if not, why are we taking the test?
    (oh yeah, the low numbers again) doh!

_
    DT

T.Jackson Guest

If you say so Darrel.

Kinda like the supposed psychology of the Luscher Colour Test, done by a guy of dubious repute who made a very good living peddling ambiguities based on somebody elses ideas... and as with anything 'open to interpretation' (from Horroscopes to Religious texts) it can be anything you want it to be...

T.Jackson Guest

This thing isn't smoke & mirrors.

This thing may work and it may not. Every one does learn different things differently.

If one is taking the role of teacher, then one will have to understand how the student learns.

If a test like this could be set up for people under 12 years of age, and again if it is valid, it would be an invaluable tool.
    Dave

T.Jackson Guest

It's recognized & used by Curtin University in Australia. Still have doubts?

Yep!

I was given an IQ test once...141. HA.do not think so.
    I was give a psychological evaluation test when I was hired for my job...PASSED

But... A learning evaluation test as I said before would be helpful.

The thing I worry about is this.
    100 students enroll for as class, they are given said test. The school will then decide if and how the students will be taught.
    Good so far.
    Now a certain percentage of the prospective students do not fall into one of the four groups. Do they then become branded as some one with undesirable learning traits and are "kicked" out? You have heard what happened to Einstein? (that may not be true either)

A good teacher does not need a test like this. Look at the teachers on this forum for example.

I doubt that a test like this could be used for more than a starting point and hope that it is not ever used for a final determination.
    Dave

Hi Trent-

Yup, that test is pretty accurate for me. I have a strong Read/Write learning preference
    Guess that comes from studying Microchip datasheets long into the night ;-)

regards

Angus Anderson

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mackrackit View Post
    Yep!

I was given an IQ test once...141.
    You wouldn't want an IQ that high, the greater the genius the bigger the holes in his socks as far as I'm concerned. But as far as the education system goes - I don't pretend to know what the answer is. In fact, I'm required to do an assignment at the moment that involves an argument of some sort, and I was going to choose the education system as the topic. I've since scratch this idea, because in all honesty I just don't know what the solution is.

Albert Einstein was a relatively poor student. Bit of a dreamer (much like myself) and didn't really go anywhere until late adulthood. My heart goes out to any student that is genuinely struggling with study, because I for one know what it feels like to "fail" Loosely speaking, part of the problem in my opinion is teacher student related. Most academics generally only have time for other academics, too many students are quickly written off! Additional efforts should be made on the teacher's part to identify & remedy the situation, not just brush it under the carpet! There's a lot of intelligent people out there that simply can't learn entirely through aural alone. My IQ hasn't always been 120.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Jackson View Post
    My heart goes out to any student that is genuinely struggling with study
    Thats the ones this test would be most helpful for.

Are you involved in the development of this test? If so, keep up the good work!
    Dave

T.Jackson Guest

Can't take any credit I'm afraid. Some may begin to wonder if I'm studying psychology or information technology -- looking forward to mastering C++ next year!

Peace

What's a vark anyway?

Something very expensive, that they want you to swallow, that moves through the system un-used.
    May even be dangerous, if used too much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vark

_
    DT

And this bring...
    Quote Originally Posted by T.Jackson
    Yes i do! Beer makes the ugly people looking better, but nobody use it as a main reference!
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

Actually I have grave doubts. Just because a University uses it, doesn't nescessarilly give it credence. The year I graduated, I met somebody younger than I was and who I wouldn't give a job sweeping the floor, yet they had just got employed teaching electronics at a University. Gawd help those students.

...an argument of some sort, and I was going to choose the education system as the topic.
    Here's a thought to get you going... Everybody quotes "Knowledge is Power"... By that idiom, University Professors should be the most powerful, richest people on the planet... yet they are amongst the worst paid, with poor prospects, next to no career path and abysmal pensions...

The real answer (secret of life, the Universe and everything - which nobody ever quotes because they don't know it) is "Power is the application of Knowledge" - but not many University Professors have grasped that concept....

BUT every students trust them
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
    BUT every students trust them
    Not true. From my own experience I had (mostly) Professors that were superb, but one guy was a complete a**hole... I openly argued that he was on the payroll only because he had more letters after his name than in it, and it looked good on the University Letterhead. It did not make me a popular girl in some circles...

Default so tempting.

but commenting on that last line would be too easy.

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    The real answer (secret of life, the Universe and everything - which nobody ever quotes because they don't know it) is "Power is the application of Knowledge" - but not many University Professors have grasped that concept....
    Agreed.

A lot of academics lack practical attributes. One of my old Tafe teachers springs to mind, had a wealth of knowledge, but I don't think he was very good at getting the wheels to turn with it. In fact, he had me do some of it for him. I waited 3 months to get paid for that, that's Australian government institutes for you.

T.Jackson Guest

And this bring...

Yes i do! Beer makes the ugly people looking better, but nobody use it as a main reference!
    That statement is so lame Mister e. But I bet the people around you often do a lot of drinking huh?

T.Jackson Guest

Here's a thought to get you going... Everybody quotes "Knowledge is Power"... By that idiom, University Professors should be the most powerful, richest people on the planet... yet they are amongst the worst paid, with poor prospects, next to no career path and abysmal pensions...
    I'm concerned about offending the person marking this, because no matter how diligent I try to go about it, it will offend any educator. So, I'm not going to do it. Instead I'm going to create an argument on capital punishment -- does Australia want it returned? I think we do. It's an easy thing to argue about, there would be just as many reasons for it as there would be against it.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Jackson View Post
    That statement is so lame Mister e. But I bet the people around you often do a lot of drinking huh?
    Sure you have been helped to find out that one... but yes indeed they drink a lot... mostly to ignore/forget such stupid posts & thread... totally useless... sounds like any other spam message i got daily.

So i think you still believe in Santa-Claus and Jesus resurection as well?

Aliens lives on earth?

If this is what university do to people, i'm glad to have gave up awhile back... just because it was and still useless to me.

Granted, some have the 'paper' and cash who come with... but they hire people like me and sign their name the bottom... and that's nice 'cause i can do something else while they still learn...
    Last edited by mister_e; - 8th December 2007 at 09:34.
    Steve

T.Jackson Guest

Granted, some have the 'paper' and cash who come with... but they hire people like me and sign their name the bottom... and that's nice 'cause i can do something else while they still learn...
    Not in Australia mister e, just not in Australia. If you were an unqualified engineer working in Australia, at very best you'd get to sweep the floor. "If you're lucky"

Even 'qualified Engineer'... well on paper, we all know that there's some good,bad, and worst. Some, see mnay of them should be killed with some pretty bad design... see dangerous design. But yeah, they're ALL 'qualified'.

To me the paper doesn't mean anything. Unfortunately, market and old thinking are still believe in it. People buy anything without knowing what's behind the scene... at least if it looks good, it's a good product... really sad.
    Last edited by mister_e; - 8th December 2007 at 10:12.
    Steve

T.Jackson Guest

Even 'qualified Engineer'... well on paper, we all know that there's some good,bad, and worst. Some, see mnay of them should be killed with some pretty bad design... see dangerous design. But yeah, they're ALL 'qualified'.

To me the paper doesn't mean anything. Unfortunately, market and old thinking are still believe in it. People buy anything without knowing what's behind the scene...
    You've got a lot to learn, a lot of growing up to do, but first you must realize that what you're saying is actually quite laughable.

It isn't what we call 'freedom of speech' ???

If for you ALL engineers are king of the world and they're always right... then probably you have to learn and grow up you too.

you must realize that what you're saying is actually quite laughable.
    I don't care, i perfectly assume everything i say... every day. Believe it or not.. i don't care. You have your own opinion, i have mine, everyone have their own.. that's life.

This said, i never said i don't believe in engineer and studies... i just try to give some observation and truths.

Nobody's perfect, but i hate when someone think that X is better than Y just because X have an extra paper that Y don't... even if Y never failed...
    Last edited by mister_e; - 8th December 2007 at 10:37.
    Steve

You just hit the biggest problem to progress the world is facing right on the head... and it's not global warming...

...it's the fact that people are AFRAID to speak out...

They guy who sweeps the floor is afraid he'll lose his job if he asks that the waste bin is pushed closer to the coffee machine...

The Miner who doesn't speak out about safety issues because he might not be employed there next week - he won't be employed there because next week he'll probably be dead.

The guy who thought the rubber gasket on a Shuttle wasn't going to work at low temperatures didn't speak out because it'll look bad for him, the company, the project and the bottom line...

You're afraid that if you chose a controversial subject, your exam mark might be adversely affected... So if it is - challenge it! It'll show everyone that you've got Balls and will ultimately speak volumes on a CV to a future employer - far more than any grade. So instead you chose to play it safe - and oh-so boring!

Have confidence in what you do - and if you have confidence in your argument, then you can challenge your examiners. After all, you might just change the life of the guy reading your paper...

T.Jackson Guest

It isn't what we call 'freedom of speech' ???

If for you ALL engineers are king of the world and they're always right... then probably you have to learn and grow up you too.

I don't care, i perfectly assume everything i say... every day. Believe it or not.. i don't care. You have your own opinion, i have mine, everyone have their own.. that's life.
    Don't put words in my mouth. There's a lot more than meets the eye with qualifications, let me explain. Completing a degree, diploma or certificate-based qualification is a nice accomplishment by anyones standard, and this sends a strong message to people that you're well & truly capable of seeing something "through" So, you see, having a qualification isn't just about owning a certain skill set. Willing to bet that there's quite a few qualified computer programmers out there that were given the chance to take on an entirely different role, say for example; accounting, and without having to do an another degree. I'm starting to believe that if you can prove that you can stick with and finish something, you stand a better chance at landing that job.

Feel free to disagree

T.Jackson Guest

You just hit the biggest problem to progress the world is facing right on the head... and it's not global warming...

...it's the fact that people are AFRAID to speak out...

They guy who sweeps the floor is afraid he'll lose his job if he asks that the waste bin is pushed closer to the coffee machine...

The Miner who doesn't speak out about safety issues because he might not be employed there next week - he won't be employed there because next week he'll probably be dead.

The guy who thought the rubber gasket on a Shuttle wasn't going to work at low temperatures didn't speak out because it'll look bad for him, the company, the project and the bottom line...

You're afraid that if you chose a controversial subject, your exam mark might be adversely affected... So if it is - challenge it! It'll show everyone that you've got Balls and will ultimately speak volumes on a CV to a future employer - far more than any grade. So instead you chose to play it safe - and oh-so boring!

Have confidence in what you do - and if you have confidence in your argument, then you can challenge your examiners. After all, you might just change the life of the guy reading your paper...
    Pretty uncanny timing - we both posted a message @ exactly 22:21 (see msg prior to this one)

It's too difficult to turn into an argument anyway, especially considering it has to be kept under 1,000 words. Thanks for the vote of confidence though

T.Jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thomasz View Post
    Do you have IQ or EQ Test? I guess that would be good.
    I think that the tickle IQ test is pretty good. http://web.tickle.com/

Regards,

Trent Jackson

T.Jackson Guest

I reckon Mr. Simpson's IQ would be around 130, no sympathy from me.

Trent Jackson

Smile

Your scores were:
    Visual: 4
    Aural: 7
    Read/Write: 6
    Kinesthetic: 13

I just looked up Kinesthetic learning that's me 100%

does this mean I need to find a new hobby
    Last edited by grounded; - 28th May 2008 at 18:37.

I love it when smart people argue! Argue with a moron , it's too hard to see who's who. In here it's very refreshing, as there seems to be a shortage of morons! Bless you all! And to fuel the discussion a bit . . . most big organizations idea of a "Team Player" can be found on any porno site . . . just do the deed and never question . . .
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.