MPLab SIM question

Closed Thread

Default MPLab SIM question

Well, my DS18B20 program is now running nicely on a PIC18F2620 with decimal values (Anyone interested in reading that thread can find it at http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7533).

Anyway, I discovered the fact that I can use MPLab SIM with PBP just 2 days ago and I am ecstatic! I tested some really basic PBP programs with MPLab SIM and was able to input to pins and read registers. Then I tried my DS18B20 program (the source-code is attached at the bottom of this post in text format).

Consider the following lines from my program –
    Code:
    1	ReadDS18B20:  
    2   		OWOUT Comm_Pin, 1, [$CC, $44] ' Skip ROM search & do temp conversion
    3   		ReadBusy:
    4   		OWIN Comm_Pin, 4, [Busy] ' Read busy-bit
    5    		IF Busy = 0 THEN ReadBusy ' Loop until Busy=1 (Temp conversion complete)
    Here, Comm_Pin was set to PortB.4 at the top of the code somewhere (see the complete code). The problem I’m having is that after line 5, it jumps to line 3 and seems to be in an infinite loop. Of course I understand why it happens! It’s because PortB.4 never gets to 1 and this is where I ask for your help.

I have tried to create a stimulus that sets RB4 to 1 at the beginning of the program and keeps it at 1 for good. But when I step through the program, I see RB4 changing periodically between 0 and 1. So, I am not able to simulate a valid bit “1” at RB4. Also, how does anyone go about implementing this:

Code:
    OWIN Comm_Pin, 2, [RAWTEMP.LowByte, RAWTEMP.HighByte]
    I mean how can I simulate a bitstream arriving at PortB.4? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

never messed with this feature, but i think it's doable with Clock Stimulus and/or Pin/Register action

Probably it's something i would never simulate anyways.. still and never been a sim user/fan
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

have you tried lower the pull up resistor ? I got the problem other day, and lower the resistor to 2k2 then everything work.

pssst... it's more about MPLAB SIM
    Quote Originally Posted by POST #1
    my DS18B20 program is now running nicely on a PIC18F2620 .......I mean how can I simulate a bitstream arriving at PortB.4? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Steve

It's not a bug, it's a random feature.
    There's no problem, only learning opportunities.

sorry, i misread.

It may be possible to do what you want. Look under Debugger->SCL generator->New workbook->Register injection.

Here you will find that you can specify a stimulus file. I haven't used this feature, but I'm sure that it works and will be wonderful to use. I have played a lot with the stimulus features and can encourage others to try the simulator.

Let us know how it goes with the injection feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerson View Post
    It may be possible to do what you want. Look under Debugger->SCL generator->New workbook->Register injection.

Here you will find that you can specify a stimulus file. I haven't used this feature, but I'm sure that it works and will be wonderful to use. I have played a lot with the stimulus features and can encourage others to try the simulator.

Let us know how it goes with the injection feature.
    I guess I picked a difficult one to simulate.

The problem is that OWIN and OWOUT are both toggling the TRISB.4 bit (changing this pin between Input and Output) and therefore a constant "1" for PortB.4 (The DS18B20's DQ pin) did not work for me. What I did was create an asynchronous event for RB4 (set RB to High) and whenever my TRISB was 00010000 (RB4 is input), I just hit this asynchronous event that set RB to 1. If I was careful and hit this event at the right time, the "Busy" variable would finally be 1 and thus the program would finally get out of the infinite loop.

I didn't play with the PORT/Register injection. I guess the easiest thing would be to define a value for RAWTEMP at the beginning of the program (just for debugging process) and see if my temperature conversion subroutines worked correctly (and they did ). I wanted to check the negative temperature read and conversion routine in particular since I was inside my house and the outside temperature was not below zero, or I didn't feel like pouring liquid nitrogen on the sensor (not that I had any liquid nitrogen in my house).

If anyone else wants to take a shot at simulating the One-Wire commands correctly (from a timing point of view), good luck.
    Last edited by presario1425; - 3rd December 2007 at 21:29.