Help with LCD Scroll

Closed Thread

Default Help with LCD Scroll

Howdy

I'm using a 4 x 20 LCD, and scrolling a text message from right to left. That is no problem. The letters "fall off" line one of the display as they reach the end of the first line, and then continue to scroll on line 3. What I want to do is, as the letters reach the end of line one, then restart over on line one, rather than "wrapping" and continuing on line 3. It would be OK if the entire message scrolls off before restarting.

I realize that this "line wrapping" is the way the display normally works., since there are 40 character positions per line, and line one actually continues starting on line 3. Also line 2 continues on line 4.

I thought the sending the command 68 would disable "line wrapping" , but that does not work.

I have searched every related thread I can find, but do not find this discussed. The HD44780 data sheet might explain how to do it, if possible, but I have not found that either.

Is there a way do do this?

Thanks

Ken

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Help with LCD Scroll

HD44780.pdf

LCD Datasheet Enclosed.

Thanks Andy.
    I guess I wasn't clear, I do have the data sheet, but have not found how to do this. If it is in there, it's not very clear (at least to me)

I have tried several different scrolling methods, some of which were in links that I found by searching the PBP forums.
    Yes, they all do a nice scroll, but on a 4 x 20 LCD screen the text "wraps" from line one to line 3 , and after line three scrolls off, it "wraps back to line one. I only want to display the scroll on Line one.

Ken

Ken,

Here is a link to a good thread lead by Melanie, long time PBP contributor, about this very subject.

Topic of the thread: "i just want to know how it is possible to scroll just 1 line of a 4x20 lcd using LCDout. example if i wanted to scroll just line 2"

Perhaps it will help you.

pblist.melabs.com/forum/messages/3064/3672.html

Good Luck
    Regards,
    TABSoft

Might want to take a look at this thread...
    http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13084
    Although it is "rolling" not scrolling.

dwight
    Dwight
    These PIC's are like intricate puzzles just waiting for one to discover their secrets and MASTER their capabilities.

If it’s character by character scrolling you feed each character into a FIFO buffer of 16 char length,
    (or however long a line of the display is) rotate the byte buffer (should be a byte array)
    so the last character is ditched. You print the FIFO buffer to the display for each frame.

So since that was meaningless if you can’t scroll on LCD already, I’ll try an example.

Code:
    string var byte [16] ‘ because I assume it’s one line of a 2x16 display but you can change this
    character var byte ‘ the current character
    counter var byte ‘ a step counter and index
    lindex var byte ‘ a lookup table index
    Now how you’re getting the string in the first place you didn’t say, it could be being typed in serial,
    or already stored in eprom or something. I’ll go with a longer than 16 char message stored in lookup table,
    and put it in a subroutine at the end of the program.

Code:
    lookuptable: ‘ get the next character from the table into the character buffer
    LOOKUP lindex,[“CHECK IT OUT A SCROLLING TEXT DEMO!!!”],character ‘ 0-36 length message (37 characters in Human talk)
    return
    We need something to actually rotate the 16 char line buffer and drop the oldest byte off the end
    whenever a new character is shifted in. This goes in a subroutine also at the end of the program.

Code:
    '
    rotatearray:				‘ rotate line array
    for counter = 16 to 1 step - 1
    string[counter] = string[counter-1]
    next counter
    string[0] = character			‘ insert new character byte at zero index
    return
    ‘
    Then a main cycle is needed to index the lookup table, call the lookup and rotate routines and
    print the line to LCD. After the variable declarations and before the subroutines:

Code:
    lindex = 0
    CLEARLCD ‘ it’s been a while since I looked at LCDOUT, but whatever two byte code to clear LCD and home.
    '
    cycle:
    HOMELCD ‘ it’s been a while since I looked at LCDOUT, but whatever two byte code to home LCD cursor.
    '
    gosub lookuptable
    lindex = lindex + 1 ‘ increment lookup index
    if lindex > 36 then ‘ limit lookup index to length of message
    lindex = 0
    endif
    gosub rotatearray ‘ rotate line with new character at zero index

for counter = 0 to 15 ‘ print the line to lcd
    LCDOUT string[counter]
    next counter

pause 1000 ‘ delay to see one movement per second

goto cycle ‘ do cycle forever
    Largely untested so if someone has a simulation with LCD pls feel free to run it
    Last edited by Art; - 2nd February 2015 at 20:23.

Art,

I ran your suggestions through a simulator and a couple of things.
    1. Scrolls from Left to Right, ozarkshermit wanted Right to Left.
    2. Characters are in reverse order. Should read for 20 chars on the screen "CHECK IT OUT A SCROL", but comes out "LORCS A TUO TI KCEHC"

So I took your example and modified it to change these items.

I put this together for a 18F4620.
    Compiles and runs fine in the simulator.

Code:
    '*****PIC MCU Configuration Fuses (MPASM)*****
    #IF __PROCESSOR__ = "18F4620"
        #CONFIG
            CONFIG OSC = ECIO6            ; EC oscillator, port function on RA6
            CONFIG  WDT = OFF             ; WDT disabled (control is placed on the SWDTEN bit)
            CONFIG  FCMEN = OFF           ; Fail-Safe Clock Monitor disabled
            CONFIG  IESO = OFF            ; Oscillator Switchover mode disabled
            CONFIG  PWRT = OFF            ; PWRT disabled
            CONFIG  BOREN = SBORDIS       ; Brown-out Reset enabled in hardware only (SBOREN is disabled)
            CONFIG  BORV = 3              ; Minimum setting
            ;CONFIG  WDT = ON              ; WDT enabled
            CONFIG  WDTPS = 512           ; 1:512
            CONFIG  CCP2MX = PORTC        ; CCP2 input/output is multiplexed with RC1
            CONFIG  PBADEN = OFF          ; PORTB<4:0> pins are configured as digital I/O on Reset
            CONFIG  LPT1OSC = OFF         ; Timer1 configured for higher power operation
            CONFIG  MCLRE = ON            ; MCLR pin enabled; RE3 input pin disabled
            CONFIG  STVREN = ON           ; Stack full/underflow will cause Reset
            CONFIG  LVP = OFF             ; Single-Supply ICSP disabled
            CONFIG  XINST = OFF           ; Instruction set extension and Indexed Addressing mode disabled (Legacy mode)
            CONFIG  DEBUG = OFF           ; Background debugger disabled, RB6 and RB7 configured as general purpose I/O pins
            CONFIG  CP0 = OFF             ; Block 0 (000800-003FFFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CP1 = OFF             ; Block 1 (004000-007FFFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CP2 = OFF             ; Block 2 (008000-00BFFFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CP3 = OFF             ; Block 3 (00C000-00FFFFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CPB = OFF             ; Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CPD = OFF             ; Data EEPROM not code-protected
            CONFIG  WRT0 = OFF            ; Block 0 (000800-003FFFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRT1 = OFF            ; Block 1 (004000-007FFFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRT2 = OFF            ; Block 2 (008000-00BFFFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRT3 = OFF            ; Block 3 (00C000-00FFFFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRTC = OFF            ; Configuration registers (300000-3000FFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRTB = OFF            ; Boot Block (000000-0007FFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRTD = OFF            ; Data EEPROM not write-protected
            CONFIG  EBTR0 = OFF           ; Block 0 (000800-003FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
            CONFIG  EBTR1 = OFF           ; Block 1 (004000-007FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
            CONFIG  EBTR2 = OFF           ; Block 2 (008000-00BFFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
            CONFIG  EBTR3 = OFF           ; Block 3 (00C000-00FFFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
            CONFIG  EBTRB = OFF           ; Boot Block (000000-0007FFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks

#ENDCONFIG
    #else
        #ERROR "This program requires a PIC 18F4620 MCU"
    #endif

OSCCON = $60  ' Set PIC to 4Mhz & ECIO Clock Mode
    '*****END PIC Configuration*****

'*****Defines*****
    define OSC 4            ' Set clock to 4Mhz in PIC Basic
    '*****Define LCD registers and bits*****
    define LCD_BITS      4
    define LCD_LINES     2
    Define LCD_DREG      PORTD
    Define LCD_DBIT      4
    Define LCD_RSREG     PORTE
    Define LCD_RSBIT     0
    Define LCD_EREG      PORTE
    Define LCD_EBIT      1
    define LCD_RWREG     PORTE
    define LCD_RWBIT     2
    define LCD_COMMANDUS 1500
    define LCD_DATAUS    44
    '*****END Defines*****

ADCON0.0 = 0  ' A/D Converter module is disabled   
        ADCON1 = $0F  ' %0000 1111 AN2=VSS, AN3=VDD, AN12-0 = Digital 
        ADCON2 = $00  ' %0000 0000
        TRISA = 0
        TRISB = 0
        TRISC = 0
        TRISD = 0
        TRISE = 0

string var byte[20] ' because I assume it’s one line of a 2x20 display but you can change this
    character var byte ' the current character
    counter var byte ' a step counter and index
    lindex var byte ' a lookup table index

' Initialize LCD
        Low PORTE.2       ' LCD R/W low = write
        Pause 100         ' Wait for LCD to startup

LCDOUT $fe,1,"Startup"
        pause 1000

start:
        lindex = 0
        lcdout $fe,1    'CLEARLCD  it’s been a while since I looked at LCDOUT, but whatever two byte code to clear LCD and home.

cycle:
        lcdout $fe, $02 'HOMELCD  it’s been a while since I looked at LCDOUT, but whatever two byte code to home LCD cursor.
        gosub lookuptable
        lindex = lindex + 1 ' increment lookup index
        if lindex > 37 then ' limit lookup index to length of message
            lindex = 0
        endif
        gosub rotatearray ' rotate line with new character at zero index

for counter = 0 to 19 ' print the line to lcd
            LCDOUT string[counter]
        next counter
        pause 1000 ' delay to see one movement per second

goto cycle ' do cycle forever

lookuptable: ' get the next character from the table into the character buffer
        LOOKUP lindex,["CHECK IT OUT A SCROLLING TEXT DEMO!!! "],character ' 0-37 length message (38 characters in Human talk)
    return

rotatearray:				' rotate line array
        for counter = 0 to 18 step 1
            string[counter] = string[counter+1]
        next counter
        string[19] = character    
    return
    Regards,
    TABSoft

Lol, thanks, there will always be something off when you don’t actually run it

Thing is I was reading about string support in the wish list section and thought to myself
    a string is just a character array with a zero value at the end of it.
    All of the C functions: string length, string compare, sprint, etc. can all be written into BASIC easily.

Thanks to all the responses.

Eventually I came up with the lookup table approach, sending one character at a time, and of course it works. The display was just too "jerkey" for my tastes.

In all the various scrolling approaches linked to, none of them use a "conventional" scroll on a 4 line LCD, and prohibit the scroll from "wrapping" to line 3.

Disabling the "line wrap" simply is not possible, IMHO.

Ken

I’m not sure what you mean there by “disabling line wrap not possible”.
    Did you get what you want done?

Thanks Art

See my first post in this thread. I have not been able to accomplish that

Ken

The way I read it, that should be what the version Tabsoft posted does.
    I might be seeing something else in my mind, or does it just scroll the wrong direction?

Basically, this could be written simpler if it never had to be a real program.
    You could ditch the line buffer and rotate routine, step the index where you read the lookup table,
    check it’s bounds, and write 20 char to LCD at a time directly to LCD.

Usually you want to look at, or change the display data, so I’d normally prepare
    all lines of text in buffers, and write all four lines from the line's start positions for every frame.
    even if the text doesn’t change or move.
    If you never write past the end of a line the text can’t wrap.

Carrying on with what Art mentioned previously.
    I looked pretty closely at the LCD controller and can not find away to disable the line wrapping when you use a shift command.
    Looks like that is the way the controller works.

That being said I put together this program that will shift the message from Right to Left.
    See if this helps.

Code:
    '****************************************************************
    '*  Name    : LCDScroll_v1.pbp                                                                      *
    '*  Author  : TABSoft                                                                                    *
    '*  Notice  : Copyright (c) 2015 TABSoft                                                         *
    '*          : All Rights Reserved                               *
    '*  Date    : 2/6/2015                                          *
    '*  Version : 1.0                                               *
    '*  Notes   :                                                   *
    '*          :                                                   *
    '****************************************************************

'*****PIC MCU Configuration Fuses (MPASM)*****
    #IF __PROCESSOR__ = "18F4620"
        #CONFIG
            CONFIG OSC = ECIO6            ; EC oscillator, port function on RA6
            ;CONFIG OSC = INTIO67	      ; Internal oscillator block, port function on RA6 and RA7
            ;CONFIG  WDT = OFF             ; WDT disabled (control is placed on the SWDTEN bit)
            CONFIG  FCMEN = OFF           ; Fail-Safe Clock Monitor disabled
            CONFIG  IESO = OFF            ; Oscillator Switchover mode disabled
            CONFIG  PWRT = OFF            ; PWRT disabled
            CONFIG  BOREN = SBORDIS       ; Brown-out Reset enabled in hardware only (SBOREN is disabled)
            CONFIG  BORV = 3              ; Minimum setting
            CONFIG  WDT = ON              ; WDT enabled
            CONFIG  WDTPS = 512           ; 1:512
            CONFIG  CCP2MX = PORTC        ; CCP2 input/output is multiplexed with RC1
            CONFIG  PBADEN = OFF          ; PORTB<4:0> pins are configured as digital I/O on Reset
            CONFIG  LPT1OSC = OFF         ; Timer1 configured for higher power operation
            CONFIG  MCLRE = ON            ; MCLR pin enabled; RE3 input pin disabled
            CONFIG  STVREN = ON           ; Stack full/underflow will cause Reset
            CONFIG  LVP = OFF             ; Single-Supply ICSP disabled
            CONFIG  XINST = OFF           ; Instruction set extension and Indexed Addressing mode disabled (Legacy mode)
            CONFIG  DEBUG = OFF           ; Background debugger disabled, RB6 and RB7 configured as general purpose I/O pins
            CONFIG  CP0 = OFF             ; Block 0 (000800-003FFFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CP1 = OFF             ; Block 1 (004000-007FFFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CP2 = OFF             ; Block 2 (008000-00BFFFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CP3 = OFF             ; Block 3 (00C000-00FFFFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CPB = OFF             ; Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not code-protected
            CONFIG  CPD = OFF             ; Data EEPROM not code-protected
            CONFIG  WRT0 = OFF            ; Block 0 (000800-003FFFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRT1 = OFF            ; Block 1 (004000-007FFFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRT2 = OFF            ; Block 2 (008000-00BFFFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRT3 = OFF            ; Block 3 (00C000-00FFFFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRTC = OFF            ; Configuration registers (300000-3000FFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRTB = OFF            ; Boot Block (000000-0007FFh) not write-protected
            CONFIG  WRTD = OFF            ; Data EEPROM not write-protected
            CONFIG  EBTR0 = OFF           ; Block 0 (000800-003FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
            CONFIG  EBTR1 = OFF           ; Block 1 (004000-007FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
            CONFIG  EBTR2 = OFF           ; Block 2 (008000-00BFFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
            CONFIG  EBTR3 = OFF           ; Block 3 (00C000-00FFFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
            CONFIG  EBTRB = OFF           ; Boot Block (000000-0007FFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks

#ENDCONFIG
    #else
        #ERROR "This program requires a PIC 18F4620 MCU"
    #endif

OSCCON = $60  ' Set PIC to 4Mhz & ECIO Clock Mode

DEFINE OSC 4
       ADCON0.0 = 0  ' A/D Converter module is disabled   
       ADCON1 = $0F  ' %0000 1111 AN2=VSS, AN3=VDD, AN12-0 = Digital 
       ADCON2 = $00  ' %0000 0000
       TRISB = %11111111 ' Set PORTB as input
       INTCON2.7 = 0 ' Enable PORTB pullups
       TRISC = TRISC & %11011111   ' Set PORTC pin directions (pin5 output to RTC VCC2)

'*****Define LCD registers and bits*****
    define LCD_BITS      4  '8  '4
    define LCD_LINES     2  ' Set to number of lines for the LCD
    Define LCD_DREG      PORTD
    Define LCD_DBIT      4  '0  '4
    Define LCD_RSREG     PORTE
    Define LCD_RSBIT     0
    Define LCD_EREG      PORTE
    Define LCD_EBIT      1
    define LCD_RWREG     PORTE
    define LCD_RWBIT     2
    define LCD_COMMANDUS 1500
    define LCD_DATAUS    44

'
    ' Software Constants
    '
    LastLCDCol con 19
    ' number of Columns in your LCD

'
    ' Software variables
    '
    LCD_Line1 var byte [50] 'Array to hold the Line 1 LCD Message (0 to 49)
    L1_ArrayLen var byte    'Length of LCD Line 1 Message Array
    StartPos var byte       'Pointer to start of message in Array
    idx var byte            'Current index into Message Array
    MaxCount var byte       'Loop counter max number
    LoopCount var byte      'Loop Counter
    i var byte

'*****Intialize Variables*****
    L1_ArrayLen=50

'*****Initialize LCD Line 1 Message Array*****
    arraywrite LCD_Line1, ["This is a test of the scrolling text screen...... "]

'*****Initialize LCD*****
       Low LATE.2  		    ' LCD R/W line low (W)
       Pause 500       	  ' Wait .5 second for LCD to Initialize

'
    ' Program
    '

mainloop:
        MaxCount = 81
        LoopCount = 0
        StartPos = 0

do
            lcdout $FE, $80
            LoopCount = LoopCount + 1
            for i = 0 to LastLCDCol