Hello all,

I am trying to use the EUSART peripheral in the PIC16F688. I am using the 8Mhz internal oscillator and used Mister_e’s picMultiCalc to obtain the defines. I need help trying to understand how HSERIN works.

From what I understand, EUSART is a hardware peripheral embedded in the pic similar to hardware PWM. I know that in PWM I can specify a duty cycle and it can run in the background while I do other things in software. Is HSERIN/HSEROUT the same concept?

If I send a series of data bytes i.e.
HSEROUT [byte1, byte2, byte3]
how will the data be sent? Will it send the complete message first then proceed with the code, or will it initialize the transmission, the SW proceeds, and then finishes the transmission in the background?

Same question with HSERIN. How does it receive data packets? I know RCIE enables UART interrupt flag and RCIF sets the interrupt flag. How is it interrupted?
i.e an On-Change-Interrupt fires if a pin changes state, a timer interrupt fires at a timer overflow, or a comparator interrupt fires when it reaches a certain voltage. How would a HSERIN interrupt occur? Does it have some kind of buffer or something?

Thank you all for any input. Hopefully I get enough information so I can begin playing around with this peripheral.