Visible Laser LED suggestion.

Closed Thread

Question Visible Laser LED suggestion.

Hi Everybody,

I have seen laser psychedelic lights in a show and wondering what could be the best option of Visible Laser Leds including colimator lenses to built one for personal use.

So my queries are :
    • Are visible Laser LEDs available for Red, Green and Blue ?
    • Any recommended model/suppliers who ship low quantities and accept credit card ?
    • Would they cost me a fortune ?
    • Anybody done this before ?

BTW I do not want to rip my laser pointer.
    Regards

Sougata

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

BE VERY CAREFULL! Even pointers are dangerous. More than pointers are the 10 mW or more that many suppliers sell. But more than a laser source you need also mirros, galvos (somthing like servo motors) driver software etc.

An easy solution I saw, was on a recent issue of Elektor that it used a ripped PC fan to mount 7 mirros in different angle to produce 7 lines of a beam. By the proper electronics you could synchronize the ON/OFF of the beam along with its possition.

Ioannis

Default What about R,G,B ?

Hi Ioannis,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the mechatronics part and not really bothered about it. As I am confident to handle it. (With this forum standing beside). Red Laser LEDs are available but couldn't make a choice for the Green or Blue. Actually no idea if cheap Green or Blue sources are at all available. I want to push the design into the full spectrum. I have seen the projector project using led pointers and mirrors. Really cool. But my application would be different. This is going to be a personal interest development so no time limits and restrictions other than budget . So I would like pointers if it is at all possible to source Green/Blue laser led sources like the red ones.
    Regards

Sougata

No the Green and Blue are not as cheap as the Red one. And when it comes to more powerful they are exponentially more expensive. As for the galvos I don't think it is easy to build them yourself. No offense, I don't want to underestimate your skills but this things are very sensitive devices. Ihave a very good friend that is dealing with lasers for many years and finally he bought one RGB system with all the mechanics that is controlled by a PC software. It is amazing that can produce all the colors in a laser show. But this is way to expensive.

For such galvos we were trying many ideas like speakers with mirros mounted on the cone, small motors, electromagnets but the original ones cannot be beaten...

Good luck with your project.

Default Any idea where I can get them

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis View Post
    No the Green and Blue are not as cheap as the Red one.
    Dear Ioannis,

Thanks for your concern. I am not building a pro product so I am really not concerned. The challenge is how much can be achieved (spending most of the time in my office ) But I would get all co-operations from the setup, perhaps. Any pointers about the price of the Greens and Blues. Shocking prices may drown the excitement.
    Regards

Sougata

Toshiba and sanyo are two of the top producers of VLD, what you need to look for is the wave length that is the decideing factor in the color. There are a few wavelenghts available in red from 635nm to 670nm the 635nm is easier for the eye to see so it will appear brighter than the 670 nm.
    Yes they are available in red green blue and UV.

ebay has a few listed and google would be a good place to find a local distributor.