Ideal backup power for PIC micro

Closed Thread

Default Ideal backup power for PIC micro

hi folks!

Is there any method implementing a backup power system for PIC Micro? Just like the case of DS1302 RTC interfaced to PIC Micro (A real-time digital clock with calendar project). If you want to ensure that the clock/calendar info from DS1302 is up-to-date, then a simple 3v Lithium coin battery is adequate. Even for long-time power interruption.

Can we do the same approach with PIC Micro (only PIC Micro, the rest of the circuitry is off. A small battery, just enough to let PIC up and running for a long-period with or without power interruption?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default PIC power save mode

I am not sure what you are really looking for but I have many battery powered PIC projects that run for over 1 year on manganese alkaline batteries. I make sure all peripheral loads can be switched off by the PIC then I call the sleep function (must have WDT enabled for sleep to work). My projects do not need to use a 'wake on interrupt' but instead I have the PIC come out of sleep every 60 seconds and check for certain conditions to decide whether to run the code or go back to sleep.

I use mainly the PIC16F877A on 4 MnAlk batteries. These give 6.4 volts when fresh and I use no voltage regulator. Section 17.0 of the PIC16F877A data sheet gives a maximum Vdd 0f 7.5 volts so it all works within specs.

HTH
    Brian

thats cool, can you share to me the schematic of your circuit? only the one that is powered by these batteries. I have a simple digital clock (HH:MM:SS) which i would like to run 24x7 with or without power from the mains supply. I'm using a standard wallwart adaptor as my power source. When mains supply is cut off, the next time i power on i have to set the time again.

skimask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by emavil View Post
    thats cool, can you share to me the schematic of your circuit? only the one that is powered by these batteries. I have a simple digital clock (HH:MM:SS) which i would like to run 24x7 with or without power from the mains supply. I'm using a standard wallwart adaptor as my power source. When mains supply is cut off, the next time i power on i have to set the time again.
    Last edited by skimask; - 22nd March 2007 at 01:19. Reason: Fine example and answer removed to due to possible legal issues....